Arm care

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 11, 2022
My DD played in her first tournament this weekend and pitched a little to much out of the gate. She pitched around 23 innings over a weekend. For this being her first action of the season I am worried about all the soreness and stiffness she is having. What are some stretches and exercises you guys recommend doing after the tournament.
Thanks.

May 27, 2013
I would just Google “band work for softball pitchers” and you’ll find different band exercises for her to do. My dd does bands before she throws and between innings. Stretches after practice/games.

How old is your dd? Pre-season lifting to strengthen core, legs, and balance out upper body muscles for older players really helps. Continuing workouts in-season helps, too. Ramping up slowly if she hasn’t thrown for several weeks is the smart thing to do.

Having a good trainer who is familiar with softball pitching can really help establish a program for your dd.

Aug 20, 2017
Run, run, run! Get all the lactic acid out. Where is she sore?

That’s way too many innings! Some can handle it, some can’t. Shoulder injuries build up over time and show up as they get older. Don’t let her pitch live again until all soreness is gone.

Oct 26, 2019
The problem with the 23 innings is that in order to throw that much you have to build up your arm to throw that much. As a side note - I wouldn’t advocate throwing that much in a weekend, but if you are you gotta prepare to handle that load.

23 innings at an estimated 20 pitches per inning is 460 pitches. I’m guessing in practice she doesn’t normally throw 460 pitches over a day or two span.

In summary - either throw less innings and pitches (which I would recommend) or if she is going to keep throwing that much, she better get in shape to throw that much.

To use an analogy, she had probably practiced for the mile and then went out and ran a marathon.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
As you already mentioned, that is too many innings. I would make the head coach aware of your daughters soreness after pitching that many innings. If you don't make the coach aware of the situation it will most likely happen again. Have a friendly conversation with the coach and explain the situation.

My daughter is a pitcher. I have always felt that 14 innings per weekend was a number I was happy with. I don't ever want her pitching more than 18 innings in a 3 day weekend. Of course there are variables, but those inning recommendations are general guidelines.

May 18, 2019
That is way way way too many pitches. The below is the only quantitative data I've seen and it is definitely on the conservative side but not that far off of what my 2 pitchers settled on by experience.

I have seen about 1/3 of the pitchers who were serious at 10U blow out their arms by 16U. You have to be disciplined and watching your team lose when you know your DD could win it is painful but it's just not worth overdoing it at a young age.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee