Arizona Blanked by Georgia 8-0; UCLA sneaks by Northwestern 4-3.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Arizona got whacked by Georgia 8-0.

The losing pitcher for Arizona was Kenzie Fowler, who gave up 3 earned runs in 1 inning of work. The pitcher for Georgia? Morgan Montemayor from Phoenix, Arizona...do you think perhaps she liked sticking it to Arizona? "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned." William Congreve (not Willy Shakespeare.)

UCLA loses to Florida and Tennessee, and then sneaks by Northwestern.

UCLA isn't playing particularly well. They got beat by Arkansas. Then, they lost to Florida 4-1, followed by a 7-1 drubbing by Tennessee.

UCLA barely got by Northwestern 5-4. In the bottom of the 8th and trailing by 1, Alyssa Tiumalu hit a walk off home run to give UCLA the win. Doesn't look like a repeat is in the works for UCLA this year.

Could it be that a different team, like perhaps California or Stanford, will represent the West Coast this year?

Alabama keeps winning...but avoids real competition.

So, Tennessee and Florida are out playing UCLA, and Georgia plays Arizona. Alabama? Well, they took on Missouri and won.

My prediction: Alabama will fold like a lawn chair when the playoffs start.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
I had the pleasure of getting drilled by a pitch from Montemayor last year. HS preseason warm up game, sprinkling, field is wet and she lost a pitch in the dirt. It ricocheted up and caught me right in the ends of both thumbs and peeled part of both nails back.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Compe, I haven't heard of this young lady. Did she consider the AZ. colleges at all? Was she totally obscured by Dallas E.? Because I heard about her, a lot.

Are you hearing anything about why pitchers don't want to come to the UofA, anymore?

Jun 22, 2008
Dont remember exactly what clubs in Phx she played for, but she was on some pretty good Phx teams. She played HS ball for Centennial. I believe she played the last 2 or 3 years of club ball for a team in CA, not sure which one.

I think most of the reason she didnt end up anywhere in AZ is because she is to close in age to both Fowler and Escobedo. Fowler was the shoe in at AZ and Escobedo was all anyone talked about at ASU and she had no intention of playing second fiddle to either one. She wanted to go to a school where she was going to be the star, pretty much the same for any pitcher that is good.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
She played for the California Cruisers Gold last year. Montemayor is a freshman. Earlier in the year, she lost to Oklahoma State 1-0.

So far, Georgia coach Lu Harris-Champler seems committed to spreading the pitching work around...

Jul 26, 2010
Compe, I haven't heard of this young lady. Did she consider the AZ. colleges at all? Was she totally obscured by Dallas E.? Because I heard about her, a lot.

Are you hearing anything about why pitchers don't want to come to the UofA, anymore?

Probably because the coach makes them play with the flu! (just kidding!)

-W

Oct 19, 2009
Arizona got whacked by Georgia 8-0.

The losing pitcher for Arizona was Kenzie Fowler, who gave up 3 earned runs in 1 inning of work. The pitcher for Georgia? Morgan Montemayor from Phoenix, Arizona...do you think perhaps she liked sticking it to Arizona? "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned." William Congreve (not Willy Shakespeare.)

UCLA loses to Florida and Tennessee, and then sneaks by Northwestern.

UCLA isn't playing particularly well. They got beat by Arkansas. Then, they lost to Florida 4-1, followed by a 7-1 drubbing by Tennessee.

UCLA barely got by Northwestern 5-4. In the bottom of the 8th and trailing by 1, Alyssa Tiumalu hit a walk off home run to give UCLA the win. Doesn't look like a repeat is in the works for UCLA this year.

Could it be that a different team, like perhaps California or Stanford, will represent the West Coast this year?

Alabama keeps winning...but avoids real competition.

So, Tennessee and Florida are out playing UCLA, and Georgia plays Arizona. Alabama? Well, they took on Missouri and won.

My prediction: Alabama will fold like a lawn chair when the playoffs start.

Gosh only one thing to say about that “HOW ABOUT THEM DOGS”. I noticed that about Alabama’s early schedule, not a lot of guilty teams and that is not the norm. Alabama lost some great players and maybe the coaching staff is trying to build confidence before they face the better teams. We watched them play last fall and although they won, they were not as dominant as they had been against second rate teams, time will tell. I’m a Georgia fan and my daughter is an Alabama fan.

Georgia and Alabama play mid March and we making plans to go to the game they play in Alabama.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Supposedly, Alabama wants to win the WCWS. If so, then Alabama has to play teams in the top 10 teams from outside the SEC.

Murphy plays a pretty soft pre-conference schedule. And he knows it...

Everybody in softball knows that consistently the top teams outside of the SEC are Arizona, UCLA, Washington and Michigan, and maybe Arizona State. Those teams have been at the top for decades. The softball played at those schools is at a whole different level. Murphy avoids those teams like the plague.

It seems like all that he wants to do is go undefeated rather than win the WCWS. Honestly, I can't figure out what the guy is doing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee