Are you really prepared to play college softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
So you got committed. So you were a bad rear in HS. So you graduated HS. So you had a great summer. Now you get to campus and all of a sudden the script has been flipped. Life as you knew it is now over and you have to put on your big girl pants. You never what it's like to play college softball and what it takes to stay on the team until you are in it. You better really love this game of softball before you step on campus. Are you willing to do what it takes to play college softball and are willing to endure what is asked/told of you?

Was talking to a softball dad whose kid arrived to campus as a freshman at a D2 school. He told me at the start of the semester there was something like 33 kids on the roster. 1 freshman and 4 sophomores already quit. He says that the coach has been "really hard" on the players and runs physically demanding work outs. I don't know all the details but they quit for some reason or another. All that work to get there and boom...It's over.

My DD had her first official on field practice (D3) yesterday and she admitted that she was "low Key" hurting because there was a lot running involved in the drills. She wasn't gonna let anyone know though! Over 3 hours of practice, which my DD is used since her summer practice schedule was T,W, Th 3 hrs and open weekends Sat/Sun 4 hrs. She was excited that she banged a couple over the fence. The starting catcher who was quite successful from the last year quit right before school started and now DD is the only healthy catcher as of yesterday. She said she wasn't loving softball anymore.

Spoke to another dad whose DD is at a D3 and he said she puked 10X during the first workout. Her new nickname is "Dry Heave" This kid is built like a tank and will most likely be the strongest player on the team. She is a gym beast, but it don't think she focused too much on intense cardio. I predict she could hit double digit bombs as a freshman....at least I hope so.

Heard from another dad that a freshman came home for the weekend from her P5 school and was told that she needs to get her body fat down. This player doesn't have much fat to give up to start with. I know that there have been many "large" sized girls in this program and are still there. I think the pressure is on this coach to succeed.

I really hope that my DD lasts through her entire college career, but when it's over it's over and it's her choice. Skill wise she should be able to battle for starting position freshman year. We will get to see the team play in October in two 10 inning games. Very curious to see how they stack up.

Apr 16, 2013
Thanks for the update! My DD is a '21 and I'd say a gym rat/power lifter. Probably stronger than 99% of anyone she's going against. Cardio though, that's a whole different level of workout. My DD loves being challenged, physically, so I hope she'll rise to whatever the challenge is and thrive. That being said, I wonder. I think if any girl or boy can rise to the challenge of playing a sport in college AND maintaining a good grade in their courses, they should be well armed for what life can throw at them.

I appreciate this post OS and hope others will post their experiences of playing in college and what to expect. My DD will be participating in a team practice at a D2 Saturday, invited by the coach. I'm wondering just what she'll see. I think we're both excited. :)

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I appreciate this post OS and hope others will post their experiences of playing in college and what to expect. My DD will be participating in a team practice at a D2 Saturday, invited by the coach. I'm wondering just what she'll see. I think we're both excited. :)

I hope she has fun and learns a couple of things she can take home. I think you will get a little taste, not the whole bite of what the players really go through. They don't want to scare off any prospects. Good luck!

Sep 1, 2014
So you got committed. So you were a bad rear in HS. So you graduated HS. So you had a great summer. Now you get to campus and all of a sudden the script has been flipped. Life as you knew it is now over and you have to put on your big girl pants. You never what it's like to play college softball and what it takes to stay on the team until you are in it. You better really love this game of softball before you step on campus. Are you willing to do what it takes to play college softball and are willing to endure what is asked/told of you?

Was talking to a softball dad whose kid arrived to campus as a freshman at a D2 school. He told me at the start of the semester there was something like 33 kids on the roster. 1 freshman and 4 sophomores already quit. He says that the coach has been "really hard" on the players and runs physically demanding work outs. I don't know all the details but they quit for some reason or another. All that work to get there and boom...It's over.

My DD had her first official on field practice (D3) yesterday and she admitted that she was "low Key" hurting because there was a lot running involved in the drills. She wasn't gonna let anyone know though! Over 3 hours of practice, which my DD is used since her summer practice schedule was T,W, Th 3 hrs and open weekends Sat/Sun 4 hrs. She was excited that she banged a couple over the fence. The starting catcher who was quite successful from the last year quit right before school started and now DD is the only healthy catcher as of yesterday. She said she wasn't loving softball anymore.

Spoke to another dad whose DD is at a D3 and he said she puked 10X during the first workout. Her new nickname is "Dry Heave" This kid is built like a tank and will most likely be the strongest player on the team. She is a gym beast, but it don't think she focused too much on intense cardio. I predict she could hit double digit bombs as a freshman....at least I hope so.

Heard from another dad that a freshman came home for the weekend from her P5 school and was told that she needs to get her body fat down. This player doesn't have much fat to give up to start with. I know that there have been many "large" sized girls in this program and are still there. I think the pressure is on this coach to succeed.

I really hope that my DD lasts through her entire college career, but when it's over it's over and it's her choice. Skill wise she should be able to battle for starting position freshman year. We will get to see the team play in October in two 10 inning games. Very curious to see how they stack up.
Glad to hear she is doing well. Tell me when her games are and maybe nic and I will come watch

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Glad to hear she is doing well. Tell me when her games are and maybe nic and I will come watch
That would be cool. If you are bored on Oct 5th they play UTA and a JUCO. Two 10 inning games. Otherwise, you can catch a double header in the spring.

Feb 17, 2015
USA
My DD played 3 years of college ball. She ended up not playing her senior year mainly due to her not clicking with how a new coach ran the team during her junior year. She was also a lot more interested in the social aspects of her senior year as well as concentrating on her academics. In the end she didn't feel that playing for this coach and being miserable was worth sacrificing her time that could be spent doing other things.

Apr 16, 2013
My DD played 3 years of college ball. She ended up not playing her senior year mainly due to her not clicking with how a new coach ran the team during her junior year. She was also a lot more interested in the social aspects of her senior year as well as concentrating on her academics. In the end she didn't feel that playing for this coach and being miserable was worth sacrificing her time that could be spent doing other things.
Honest question, how much money did she leave on the table by not playing softball her senior year? I can see a D3 or D2 student having the freedom to do that. I wonder how much stress though, a player with a significant sports scholarship, could be caused with that decision. Not that you have to answer that, but it's been a goal for my son (junior in college) to leave college with a very small to no financial overhead/burden. I would love the same for my daughter. My son has depended on a high level of academic scholarship and working to pay the balance, while my DD is planning the sports/academic scholarship to pay for most of her college.

Feb 17, 2015
USA
Honest question, how much money did she leave on the table by not playing softball her senior year? I can see a D3 or D2 student having the freedom to do that. I wonder how much stress though, a player with a significant sports scholarship, could be caused with that decision. Not that you have to answer that, but it's been a goal for my son (junior in college) to leave college with a very small to no financial overhead/burden. I would love the same for my daughter. My son has depended on a high level of academic scholarship and working to pay the balance, while my DD is planning the sports/academic scholarship to pay for most of her college.
$0. DD transferred from a junior college and chose a D3 school. All her scholarship was academic. She chose the D3 over other D3 and D2 schools because this particular school allowed to her to have her ideal college experience and play ball. The coach that recruited her was a huge part of that decision too. Unfortunately the coach that recruited her left for another coaching gig closer to her home base one week prior to school starting.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2013
$0. DD transferred from a junior college and chose a D3 school. All her scholarship was academic. She chose the D3 over other D3 and D2 schools because this particular allowed to her to have her ideal college experience and play ball. The coach that recruited her was a huge part of that decision too. Unfortunately the coach that recruited her left for another coaching gig closer to her home base one week prior to school starting.
Thank you for the response! IDK if my DD will ever be in that boat or not, since we're trying to get a full ride based on combination of athletic and academic scholarship. Obviously everyone's journey and "ride" are different.

Feb 26, 2016
Murfreesboro, TN
Skill wise she should be able to battle for starting position freshman year. We will get to see the team play in October in two 10 inning games. Very curious to see how they stack up.

Thanks for sharing. We are heading down tomorrow to watch Kendall's first college game. (Fall game but still).

So far, she is loving her situation. Very tired all the time, but getting used to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wes_K