Are too many making a mistake to play college softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Sometimes the work load/schedules do not allow.

Dr. Larson is clearly an exception! Awesome accomplishments in many areas!

One of the risks I have seen is some parents believing their kids are really into something when the kids are really just trying to please the parents. There is a thin line there.

I know of a few cases where the DD was really a standout but didn't stay in softball past the first couple years. One case not even half a season and another case where she just simply told her parents she wasn't playing. And that one was a shocker to the whole local softball community.

I found out later my DD fretted a whole year thinking she disappointed me but it didn't bother me a second. I was still involved with other kids playing.

I believe some get so tied up worrying about "success" that they don't realize what success is. Some turn it into a profession rather than an amateur sport.

To each his/her own, but be careful what you do to your player.

This is true. However, I am sure that if asked she would say that she is not exceptional. Exceptional accomplishments typically involve normal people. The kids who elect not to play or "wash out" in the first year usually do so not due to their inability, but rather by choice. Priorities change and they elect to take a different path, and there is nothing wrong with that. But let's keep it real, it is not because it was an impossible task.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
. And if you don't think "Yale" on your diploma beats out "played for Candrea" 99 times out of 100 you really don't know what the highest paying careers value.

Reminds me of Al Parker. If you're in Georgia, you probably remember him. He was the #1 junior tennis player in the country about 30 years ago, but also an extraordinary student. Could've gone to Yale, but chose to attend the University of Georgia and play tennis for a nationally prominent program. Was a 4-time All-American. Graduated summa cum laude, SEC scholar athlete of the year. Then went to Harvard Business School. Now one of the top investment advisers in the country. Yes, Yale tops UGA or Arizona, but if you're academically that brilliant, would it really hurt you much to spend 4 years playing softball at Arizona and then taking your academics to the next level after that? I don't know the answer. Maybe so. But I think we have to remember that the most important thing is the student, not the school. The cream will rise to the top as long as it is placed in challenging situations. Being a student-athlete at an SEC or Pac 12 school is no picnic. Maybe Al Parker became a better investment banker because of his 4 years competing at the highest level of college tennis, something he wouldn't have gotten in 4 years at Yale. I don't know. Then he would up at Harvard any way. What he did at UGA probably helped him get in there. Cream rises to the top.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Reminds me of Al Parker. If you're in Georgia, you probably remember him. He was the #1 junior tennis player in the country about 30 years ago, but also an extraordinary student. Could've gone to Yale, but chose to attend the University of Georgia and play tennis for a nationally prominent program. Was a 4-time All-American. Graduated summa cum laude, SEC scholar athlete of the year. Then went to Harvard Business School. Now one of the top investment advisers in the country. Yes, Yale tops UGA or Arizona, but if you're academically that brilliant, would it really hurt you much to spend 4 years playing softball at Arizona and then taking your academics to the next level after that? I don't know the answer. Maybe so. But I think we have to remember that the most important thing is the student, not the school. The cream will rise to the top as long as it is placed in challenging situations. Being a student-athlete at an SEC or Pac 12 school is no picnic. Maybe Al Parker became a better investment banker because of his 4 years competing at the highest level of college tennis, something he wouldn't have gotten in 4 years at Yale. I don't know. Then he would up at Harvard any way. What he did at UGA probably helped him get in there. Cream rises to the top.

Like they say it is the Indian, not the arrow. Successful people are not successful because of where they went to school, or what they did when they were there. They are successful because of who they are and success is what they do.

Oct 25, 2009
The bottom line is support your DD in whatever she chooses. Be careful that her choice is for her goals; not necessarily the parents' goals.

In the vast majority of cases I believe everything will work out for the best.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
IMO, the investment of time, effort, and money that DFP members spend trying to find the "best" team or coach (whether it be pitching, fielding, hitting, throwing, catching etc,) for their DDs should be a drop in the bucket relative to the college selection process. IMO, as with most things, the elite 1 % will thrive and be successful regardless; however, seeking out the right, individual fit can make alll the difference in the world for the remaining 99%.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My dd's dream is to be a physical therapist too. However, she would never give up the chance to play ball - it's in her heart. She has good grades (not Ivy grades though) but has a drive like not many 16 year olds I know. She never wanted to play D1 from the get go. Hopefully she make a decision soon I where she goes. As a physical therapist - would you pick a good Biology school or a Kinesiology for undergrad? Or do you think Biology/premed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
when my wife graduated from PT school it was a bachelors degree. Then they extended the requirement for new PTs to a Masters and now it's a doctorate. The PTs that come out now don't have more PT knowledge, just more debt.

It's a gre,at career though.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
when my wife graduated from PT school it was a bachelors degree. Then they extended the requirement for new PTs to a Masters and now it's a doctorate. The PTs that come out now don't have more PT knowledge, just more debt.

It's a gre,at career though.

They do have more knowledge in certain areas. What they don't have is the experience (knowledge) that PTs have who have been practicing for years.

Mar 21, 2013
Most girls aren't making a living playing softball after college anyway, So, if my DD wants to drop down for the education then so be it. What will most likely be their last 4 years of fastpitch doesn't really compare to the next 50 years of their working life. It's her choice. Bottom line is if they aren't happy with the choice then it's not going to work out anyway. Girls are funny that way.....

Mar 26, 2013
DD is at an Ivy League school and although they have no scholarships they have a huge endowment. Our tuition bill is less than if she had gotten a "full ride" to our home state school in the SEC. I realize how lucky we are and that not everyone would be in the same position.
I agree with your post - except for your claim about your tuition bill. Given a true "full ride" is 100% paid, your bill would have to be negative (i.e. a check).

I agree the large endowments of some schools (e.g. Ivies) make them far more affordable than people think. I encourage parents of high academic achievers to not be discouraged by government websites (e.g. FAFSA) and check out the financial aid offered by private schools.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Successful people are not successful because of where they went to school, or what they did when they were there. They are successful because of who they are and success is what they do.

I agree except as to the very top of the schools in the US. You can't compare the opportunities available to a graduate of Princeton, Harvard or U of Chicago with a graduate from U of Wherever.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802