Are too many making a mistake to play college softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
Great, exactly what I am looking for if I need a lawyer - a slacker who does the bare minimum to get by when my life is on the line. Not a ringing endorsement of your father.
I'm not trying to endorse him. There are many reasons besides this one why I wouldn't. That said, if you were interviewing lawyers you'd never know this about him.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
As a friend of mine (communications major) has said... C's get degrees...in some fields anyway. I have to be honest if I were footing the bill for tuition I don't know that I would like to be paying DI state tuition for most of those majors listed above when they could likely get an equivalent education/degree from a different school for much less. I've told my kids jokingly if the major ends in an ology except biology I likely won't be paying. When I was in college I believe the GPA needed for sociology was 2.0.
Cs get you tossed out of the engineering program.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Trying to choose a college and a major is tough, add trying to choose the right softball program makes the decision even tougher. Very rarely is there is a clear cut answer. It is like playing poker and you only get to see the cards in your hand. I hope that we made the right decisions during the recruiting process to allow my DD succeed and we plan to "play the hand that was dealt us".

As Riseball mention there is always the opportunity to "reset" with or without softball as long as your DD takes care of business in the classroom she will have opportunities available to her.

Oct 10, 2011
I was talking to my neighbor about this and he's in charge of a pretty busy emergency room. He said it matters very little where they studied to him and that they all need the practical experience to become good doctors/nurses etc.... other things mattered more to him in the hiring process.
Haha, yep! Reminds me of a joke my dad told me once.
Q: "What do you call the guy who finished last in his medical school class?"
A: "Doctor."

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Sep 18, 2011
I played D1 hockey (and tennis) for a college that doesn't even exist anymore (at least not by the same name). Take me back in time and give me the opportunity to go to Harvard and not play sports or go to my school and play hockey/tennis. Despite several broken bones and a chronic bad back, I'm playing hockey all day and twice on Sunday. Your mileage may vary.

Oct 25, 2009
My DD decided to pursue a career in physical therapy. Not enough time for softball she said. Great decision! She earned her doctorate in physical therapy. Pays much more than softball.

May 23, 2010
Since mine are D3 material, not DI, perhaps the decision to go for academics over softball is an easy one. While I agree with the OP that most players could gain admission to more schools from the academic angle than from softball, I don't see that many truly good students in team sports such as softball - I see more in "individual" sports like swimming and tennis. By good students I mean those who are viable applicants at elite schools like the Ivies.

A few years ago, when middle kid was in 9th/10th grade, there were kids on her TB team who were "smart enough to get into any school, SAT/ACT scores will be good enough for Ivies" per the parents. One said the local Ivy was looking at their kid (and maybe this was true). However, now these kids are seniors and committed to playing at colleges where the average SAT/ACT score is at or below the national average SAT/ACT score. This may be the best fit for them, but I hope they didn't go for playing softball over the academics.

While I think these schools would be happy to have middle kid play for them, at the risk of sounding like an academic snob, I cannot see her attending a school where her SAT score is 700 points above the school's 75th percentile SAT score. I hope none of these kids are putting themselves in this position just to play softball, because the academic experience will be miserable.

And on a side note, middle kid just submitted her application to BobInMadison's alma mater. She did not apply to the State U Bob mentioned in his post, but did apply to the State U in the western part of the state (and was admitted with full tuition, so Mom and Dad are promoting that option).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee