Are today’s hitters actually better?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
how does always become a talking point? 😂

DD was in a well respected program in 8th grade and the head guy always promoted hitting down on the ball in order to hit grounders. He was a proponent of making the defense make the plays and he hated fly balls. DD then started taking some hitting lessons from a pro MLB scout. He promoted hitting line drives that landed at the back of the infield. I prefer that method. But what do I know.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
DD was in a well respected program in 8th grade and the head guy always promoted hitting down on the ball in order to hit grounders. He was a proponent of making the defense make the plays and he hated fly balls. DD then started taking some hitting lessons from a pro MLB scout. He promoted hitting line drives that landed at the back of the infield. I prefer that method. But what do I know.

some don’t/didn’t know what they were teaching. Nothing new, in any sport. I do like the one hoppers to the grass idea. I call those ‘griners’ w my kids. A hard liner that is a foot or two off the ground. I praise those types of hits. Tells me they let it travel and weren’t long to it. DD hit one in the 5-6 hole the other day for an rbi single and was disappointed. She wanted elevation. I reminded her that it’s a good sign that your swing is short and that she isn’t jumpy. .. Bombs happen on accident. Don’t try and lift.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Today's hitters have better technique and hit harder.

Today's mlb pitchers are faster, but probably not better.

Discuss.

The pitchers are definitely better because the pitches are better. And that includes being faster. Throwing 10 mph harder is going to make you better (and before people bring up Greg Maddux; he would've been even better if he was throwing 98 instead of 88).

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Pitchers are definitely faster but don't have the control compared to the Maddux's of yesterday.. The expectation of starting pitching today is much different as well and not for the better IMO.. Games should not not take over 4 hours to complete.. TV network doesn't help either with all the commercials. Pretty sad when money takes over the game that we all grew up playing.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
The pitchers are definitely better because the pitches are better. And that includes being faster. Throwing 10 mph harder is going to make you better (and before people bring up Greg Maddux; he would've been even better if he was throwing 98 instead of 88).

Dmac posted a young Maddux throwing 94 on the gun, Dmac was a MLB scout who passed away young. I said there was no way he was throwing that hard because he made it look to easy, Dmac insisted he was.

John Smoltz went to the Bull pen after tommy John surgery. Since he was closing, he didn’t have to hold anything back and routinely hit 100 mph. John said he always had the ability.

Maddux choose pin point control with movement in both directions even on the same location. He could make an outside pitch break back to catch the outside corner, it looked outside until it moved. Likewise he could throw over the outside corner and make it move outside.

No point, just sharing. 🤪

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Pitchers are definitely faster but don't have the control compared to the Maddux's of yesterday.. The expectation of starting pitching today is much different as well and not for the better IMO.. Games should not not take over 4 hours to complete.. TV network doesn't help either with all the commercials. Pretty sad when money takes over the game that we all grew up playing.

So far what I’ve seen in the playoffs, nobody is sticking to the starters past 3 innings. Crazy stuff happening in today’s game.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Dmac posted a young Maddox throwing 94
on the gun, Dmac was a MLB scout who passed away young. I said there was no way he was throwing that hard because he made it look to easy, Dmac insisted he was.

Per Jerry Ford of Perfect Game
"Maddux was throwing 94 mph as a scrawny junior in high school"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802