Are the base running strategy in HS ball different then 14U and younger?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
I've had plenty while I was HC in town rec/travel.

The one thing I have learned in 20 years is that every person (mom, dad, grandparent, brother, sister, aunt, and uncle) that comes to a game thinks they can do a better job as coach during that game. "Fan" is short for fanatical which is defined as a crazy or delusional person. As a coach I am OK with this as I am a fan as well and I understand this.

In High School....if you attempt to steal 2B with runners on 1B and 3B I will get you at 2B and if you get greedy I will get you at home as well. It's an easy double play defensively.

May 24, 2015
In High School....if you attempt to steal 2B with runners on 1B and 3B I will get you at 2B and if you get greedy I will get you at home as well. It's an easy double play defensively.

Agree, but honestly some games the opposing team would never be able to execute a double play and the game lost.
I appreciate everyone’s input. Very helpful to hear different opinions.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
So how have people handled this? I think the HC has all the right intentions, but just not trying different things to win games. It’s been the same play books for a few years. Speak to the athletic director? Not to mention practices are the same over and over. DD said our Town Rec practices were tougher and more educational.

Handle what? Yes strategies are different in HS, and so are the politics

Do you really think going to the AD to discuss game strategy is the wise move for your DDs softball career at that HS? No you go to the AD when your dd is being treated poorly or there are some safety issues. And only after you have discussed it with the coach. You don't go to the AD to discuss practice drills or base running.

I can guarantee you the next time your dd is on first and an all county stud catcher is behind the plate your dd will be told to run and when she is thrown out she will not play any more. Because of that meeting with the AD.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
First, do NOT go to the AD about this. This falls entirely in the "let the coach do the coaching" bucket. It may or may not be bad coaching, but it's not in any way abusive/harmful. Just gripe about it to us here.

As for the play itself, how good are the catchers? How fast are the runners? Do they steal often in other situations?

In most of our games we steal in that situation. There are one or two catchers I don't test, or I only have my fastest runners steal.

It's not really a matter of strategy. It's knowing the competition level. I'm sure the coach would prefer runners on 2nd and 3rd than 1st and 3rd.

May 24, 2015
Handle what? Yes strategies are different in HS, and so are the politics

Do you really think going to the AD to discuss game strategy is the wise move for your DDs softball career at that HS? No you go to the AD when your dd is being treated poorly or there are some safety issues. And only after you have discussed it with the coach. You don't go to the AD to discuss practice drills or base running.

I can guarantee you the next time your dd is on first and an all county stud catcher is behind the plate your dd will be told to run and when she is thrown out she will not play any more. Because of that meeting with the AD.

Thanks for the input. Ok, game strategy off the table. How would you approach the HC to discuss practice drills and how to advance the team?

May 24, 2015
First, do NOT go to the AD about this. This falls entirely in the "let the coach do the coaching" bucket. It may or may not be bad coaching, but it's not in any way abusive/harmful. Just gripe about it to us here.

As for the play itself, how good are the catchers? How fast are the runners? Do they steal often in other situations?

In most of our games we steal in that situation. There are one or two catchers I don't test, or I only have my fastest runners steal.

It's not really a matter of strategy. It's knowing the competition level. I'm sure the coach would prefer runners on 2nd and 3rd than 1st and 3rd.

Thanks, seems to be the wise choice not going to the AD.

I think you hit the nail on the head. It's knowing the competition since we have games across the board of skill and it's the same plan for every game. I guess I just have to deal with it since it seems the common thinking that you just gripe about it here :)

Jul 29, 2012
NC
So how have people handled this? I think the HC has all the right intentions, but just not trying different things to win games. It’s been the same play books for a few years. Speak to the athletic director? Not to mention practices are the same over and over. DD said our Town Rec practices were tougher and more educational.

Volunteer to Coach next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 24, 2015
This is a school team, so not sure if volunteer coaches are even allowed. Will have to look into helping run some practices.
The AC I think is even less knowledgeable about the game!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802