Are the announcers not permitted to call out the coaches?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2010
Not one of them mentioned what a bonehead move it was to send the runner in the 7th inning down four runs. Gasso even said it was a "horrific call".

Jun 8, 2016
Not one of them mentioned what a bonehead move it was to send the runner in the 7th inning down four runs. Gasso even said it was a "horrific call".
Maybe just not Gasso..I have heard Mendoza call out a few coaches.

Aug 21, 2008
It's my understanding Patty owned it and even apologized to her team for it afterwards.

Jul 5, 2016
I noticed that FSU ran themselves out of a couple of innings. Luckily for them, it didn't cost them the game so I guess there is no controversy.

Apr 1, 2017
At first, my daughter and I actually thought the runner must have ran through the stop sign, because it made no sense to send her.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
If the announcers did their job "calling out coaches," then they would have spent a lot more time on the FSU coach who physically grabbed a FSU runner holding her back after she rounded 3rd. I don't understand how the umpires missed that one. It was a clear grab and hold.

In years past, I have been critical of the announcing. This year, I think that they have done a decent job. I don't have a dog in this fight and am looking forward to the remaining games.

Sep 19, 2018
And ESPN publishes an article today on how terrible base runing is in MLB. A little excerpt to get you interested

What the f--- was that?!" Mariners manager Lloyd McClendon asked him.
Van Slyke just shrugged. "I have no idea what that was," he said. "I didn't think I had to tell him he had to run to second."

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
If the announcers did their job "calling out coaches," then they would have spent a lot more time on the FSU coach who physically grabbed a FSU runner holding her back after she rounded 3rd. I don't understand how the umpires missed that one. It was a clear grab and hold.

In years past, I have been critical of the announcing. This year, I think that they have done a decent job. I don't have a dog in this fight and am looking forward to the remaining games.

Was it a missed call by the umps? Yes it was. But in all honesty, I wouldnt call what he did a “grab and hold”. He put his hand out and yes it touched her but do you truly think that stopped her momentum?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
JOHNN, have you ever touched a runner in a game? I have when the runner tripped and I was simply trying to prevent the crash and burn. I was not thinking since it happened so fast and my runner was called out. That should have been an out.

Nov 18, 2015
The NCAA uses the phrase “physically assist” - based on the replays I’ve seen, the runner was already stopping.

If that’s an assist, then I’m blaming the dozens of cicadas splattered on my windshield for my lower mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2