Are Home Runs Miss Hits?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
I know, weird question considering the result is a HR. But even with increased launch angles, most HR's I see are a result of the hitter hitting the bottom half of the ball which results in more loft then the actual upward plane of the swing. If you look at Donaldson's(one of the most vocal increased launch angle hitters out there) HR's, the ball comes off the bat at a much greater angle than what it would if he actually squared the ball up. So are MLB hitters actually trying to hit the bottom half of the ball and increase launch angle as well? Or like Zimmerman says, good luck trying to hit a certain portion of the ball when pitchers are throwing 95-100 mph with movement. So are HR's runs miss hits in regard to where the bat meets the ball?

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I've seen MLB players hit HRS on miss hits and/or broken bats. But to answer your question, no 99% or more of HRs hit are not miss hits.

Aug 20, 2017
Once girls learn to tilt and maintain good posture throughout the swing, I teach them to swing over the ball. Attack from under the ball while thinking swing over the ball. Deep stuff lol! Typically once girls learn tilt and posture they hit the bottom of the ball resulting in too many pop ups, hence the que of swing over the ball

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Went to UCLA vs LB game in which there were 8 HRs. The best and hardest hit ball of the game was a line drive that was hit with knuckle ball action. The ball never got over 10 feet in the air. CFer caught it but it wasn't easy.

May 12, 2016
I've seen MLB players hit HRS on miss hits and/or broken bats. But to answer your question, no 99% or more of HRs hit are not miss hits.
So they are trying to hit the bottom part of the ball? Like I mentioned JD is one of the most outspoken players about Launch Angle/swing plane. IMO, In the HR's below the ball leaves the bat at a steeper angle than the plane set by JD. So, is JD trying to hit the bottom of the ball in these swings?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Once girls learn to tilt and maintain good posture throughout the swing, I teach them to swing over the ball. Attack from under the ball while thinking swing over the ball. Deep stuff lol! Typically once girls learn tilt and posture they hit the bottom of the ball resulting in too many pop ups, hence the que of swing over the ball
When A hitter is out matched (speed) swing over the ball works. I don't like it but it works.

May 12, 2016
I know what you mean, unfortunately my DD at one point was doing this and pulling ff the ball at the same time, which resulted in her cutting across the ball and weak pop ups. I also mentioned staying on top of the ball (over the ball). Basically hands over/on top of/higher than the ball with the barrel getting through the ball. Still I see girls on her team hitting bombs with a very level swing or slightly downward, contacting the lower half of the ball

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
So they are trying to hit the bottom part of the ball? Like I mentioned JD is one of the most outspoken players about Launch Angle/swing plane. IMO, In the HR's below the ball leaves the bat at a steeper angle than the plane set by JD. So, is JD trying to hit the bottom of the ball in these swings?

I love Josh Donaldson swing. So explosive (suddeness). Great tempo. So controlled and balanced. Sometimes he almost pauses at launch like a golfer. I don't think he is trying to hit bottom half. Maybe. Never heard him say that.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
RH could you please explain this more?
When a pitcher throws faster than what a player normally sees the hitter will most often swing a miss under the ball. Instead of adjusting (dancing) to when they start their swing, they instinctively try to catch up by using their hands. resulting in swinging under the ball. It sorta a quick fix but if you need a ball in play it works. Like I said I dont like it but it works.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478