Are CLUTCH PLAYERS a real thing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
You may evaluate players by stats alone.
I dont.

It's not 1984 anymore. As a coach we don't go by gut instinct and the eyeball test. This is why the (game) manager is worth less in today's game than say the general manger. This wasn't true 20 years ago but it is now.

If it's a skill (being clutch) we can quantify it. While a player can get hot and hit in clutch situations I have never had a player who can consistently duplicate it.

Sure if she is hitting .585 she probably did have some clutch hits. She also hit in non-clutch situations as well.

Good hitters hit well often.

May 12, 2016
Sorry not tooting my own horn here.. but speaking from personal experience. I played a lot of hockey growing up and I was considered a clutch player. The bigger the game, moment, the larger the audience the more focused I became. I fed off of it, loved those moments.. the game seemed much slower to me at those times. It was in those games that I played my best, scored more goals, got more points etc. I don't know why, I just lived for the moment. In games where we winning 5-0 I found it very boring and kind of played flat. I still got my share of points, but just did not have the same focus. Some people thrive in bigger, more important moments. I also agree with pattar, opportunity has to present itself, but I wanted that opportunity in those moments when many of my teammates did not.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Simply good examples of different phylosophies and perspective.

Of course in 1984 stats were used..
Now utilizing computerized athletic testing results are included.
Even with both of those results taking an evaluation of individual attributes has always been included.
It is my experience every
recruitment conversation includes talking about more than stats.
This is why evaluating players in game situations is important.
To see how prospects handle different situations.
Personality traits and such.

Last edited:

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
It's not 1984 anymore. As a coach we don't go by gut instinct and the eyeball test. This is why the (game) manager is worth less in today's game than say the general manger. This wasn't true 20 years ago but it is now.

If it's a skill (being clutch) we can quantify it. While a player can get hot and hit in clutch situations I have never had a player who can consistently duplicate it.

Sure if she is hitting .585 she probably did have some clutch hits. She also hit in non-clutch situations as well.

Good hitters hit well often.
Top of last inning – tie game

Leadoff hitter works a nine-pitch walk fouling off three nasty pitches. Everyone in the park on their feet because there will be an attempted steal of 2nd. Steal is completed.

Shortstop spears on hard line drive with runner going head first back to the bag not to get doubled-off. Energy level subsides in the park for a moment. ‘Clutch’ is coming to the plate and everyone is back on their feet.

3rd is stolen on the first pitch. ‘Clutch 2’ hits a soft fly ball to center field; ‘clutch 1’ tags and scores easily.

Bottom of last inning – up by one

‘Clutch 3’ and ‘clutch 4’ make great defensive plays. Game over.

The team with the most ‘clutches’ usually comes out on top. Clutch is in the mind you know.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Top of last inning – tie game

Leadoff hitter works a nine-pitch walk fouling off three nasty pitches. Everyone in the park on their feet because there will be an attempted steal of 2nd. Steal is completed.

Shortstop spears on hard line drive with runner going head first back to the bag not to get doubled-off. Energy level subsides in the park for a moment. ‘Clutch’ is coming to the plate and everyone is back on their feet.

3rd is stolen on the first pitch. ‘Clutch 2’ hits a soft fly ball to center field; ‘clutch 1’ tags and scores easily.

Bottom of last inning – up by one

‘Clutch 3’ and ‘clutch 4’ make great defensive plays. Game over.

The team with the most ‘clutches’ usually comes out on top. Clutch is in the mind you know.
Sounds to me like like the losing team needs a new catcher.. :LOL:

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
A clutch player is well prepared (skills), well practiced (time spent), and are relaxed (mentally aware) at the moment of truth. To them it matters not whether the situation is the first inning or the last they have been there.

Now, no one succeeds 100% of the time in "clutch" situations. You may do everything right and still fail. But to a "clutch" player, each opportunity is a separate test of their skills and if they practice those skills their chances of success the next time are greater.

I have seven 300 games bowling, But I failed to strike on the 12th ball to get my first 300 game 3 times before it happened. After that happened I used the above "self talk" along with practice to give me a better chance.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28