Are CLUTCH PLAYERS a real thing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Are clutch players a real thing?

Clutch Hitters?
Clutch Defensive Players?

Not just the one time moments
of a clutch play or hit...
Rather the player who is
CONSISTENTLY a CLUTCH player ?

Are they the one you hope is next at bat?
Or
If the other teams hits, it goes to them?

ENJOY

Jun 8, 2016
75% skill, 20% opportunity, 5% between the ears..just like what I said in the post which initiated this thread :p Obviously those are arbitrary numbers just used to show what I think is important. Name me a clutch player who sucked in "non-clutch" situations.. ;)

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
IMO, Yes. I have seen players who seem to find another level of determination to succeed when the stakes are high...and others who get overwhelmed by the added pressure.
I agree. I remember the LLWS a couple years ago. A kid came up to bat in a high pressure situation. He was freaking out! Couch had to come out and talk him down.... before he K'ed.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
When the game's on the line, there are players who are hoping the ball is hit to them. There are other players who when the game is on the line, hope the ball is hit somewhere else. There are batters who are praying for a walk, and those who are looking to drive a ball into the gap.

You can often tell where it comes from, when that clutch player has an opportunity her parents are usually excited, the kid who is not so clutch, her parents are pacing and wishing out loud it was someone else.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
I agree. I remember the LLWS a couple years ago. A kid came up to bat in a high pressure situation. He was freaking out! Couch had to come out and talk him down.... before he K'ed.
My heart goes out to that kid. That must be a terrible feeling.

Jun 8, 2016
My heart goes out to that kid. That must be a terrible feeling.
Opportunity..at that age it might have been the 1st time in his life he was in that situation (certainly the 1st time he was on national tv in that situation). Some will learn to slow the game down for themselves even if it may not come naturally, hopefully that kid is one of them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28