Approach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 8, 2019
Of course, having the chance to move runners is important, especially in softball. But the flip side that scenario is swinging and getting bad contact on pitches thrown for a ball is also pretty damaging to the offense (basically why I posted the two photos that I did). Pitch recognition (ball vs strike) is VERY important, it is a very difficult skill and rewards batters via hopefully getting a better pitch in the future.
Was watching a MLB scouting video a couple of years ago, and found it interesting (and later obvious) that the scouts were just as interested in the pitches that the prospects were taking vs what their swing looked at. Seeing a ball an inch out of the zone and making the P throw a few more pitches in each inning gets them one more pitch closer to the mistake that they leave hanging up in the zone later.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Was watching a MLB scouting video a couple of years ago, and found it interesting (and later obvious) that the scouts were just as interested in the pitches that the prospects were taking vs what their swing looked at. Seeing a ball an inch out of the zone and making the P throw a few more pitches in each inning gets them one more pitch closer to the mistake that they leave hanging up in the zone later.
Could not agree more! It is so important to be able to take a (to be) called ball, puts the pressure back on the pitcher. Of course she's aiming for the black, misses 1 ball out (great pitch), misses 1 ball in (mistake). Not a lot of room for error if the batter is great at differentiating between the two

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Could not agree more! It is so important to be able to take a (to be) called ball, puts the pressure back on the pitcher. Of course she's aiming for the black, misses 1 ball out (great pitch), misses 1 ball in (mistake). Not a lot of room for error if the batter is great at differentiating between the two

Part of that equation is also having an understanding of what the umpire is calling. MLB umps tend to be a lot more consistent than the ones our DDs have.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
One ball off the plate is a called 3rd strike 90 percent of the time in our games (14u) 1 1/2 balls off the plate is 50/50. 2 balls off 70/30. Basically if the ball is inside the chalk lines and catcher is a good receiver there is a good chance its called a strike. Hitters have to protect with 2 strikes otherwise they will be walking back to the dugout. I rarely see an ump with a tight zone. Consistency is our only hope.

May 21, 2018
One ball off the plate is a called 3rd strike 90 percent of the time in our games (14u) 1 1/2 balls off the plate is 50/50. 2 balls off 70/30. Basically if the ball is inside the chalk lines and catcher is a good receiver there is a good chance its called a strike. Hitters have to protect with 2 strikes otherwise they will be walking back to the dugout. I rarely see an ump with a tight zone. Consistency is our only hope.
This is what I see mostly. If you can reach it you'd better be swinging at it, at least with 2 strikes. So far I've been unable to convey this to DD. The majority of the best pitchers we face pound low and outside, and a good catcher will get the call.

Jun 8, 2016
This is what I see mostly. If you can reach it you'd better be swinging at it, at least with 2 strikes. So far I've been unable to convey this to DD. The majority of the best pitchers we face pound low and outside, and a good catcher will get the call.
DD will swing…and make weak contact. I think I would rather she watch it so I can convince myself if she swung it would be good result 😒

May 21, 2018
DD will swing…and make weak contact. I think I would rather she watch it so I can convince myself if she swung it would be good result 😒
Me: Why did you let that one go by?
DD: It wasn't a strike.
Me: What did the ump call it?
DD: Strike
Me: Then it was a strike.
DD: No it wasn't.
Me: You can't let strike 3 go by, especially in that situation. If it's close you gotta swing.
DD: I can't hit that pitch.
Me: You're right, you can't hit a pitch you don't swing at.
DD: Puts in ear buds and stares out the window.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Me: Why did you let that one go by?
DD: It wasn't a strike.
Me: What did the ump call it?
DD: Strike
Me: Then it was a strike.
DD: No it wasn't.
Me: You can't let strike 3 go by, especially in that situation. If it's close you gotta swing.
DD: I can't hit that pitch.
Me: You're right, you can't hit a pitch you don't swing at.
DD: Put's in ear buds and stares out the window.
I cannot have those types of conversations..they end up in a argument 100% of the time.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Angles deceive. You must move up or back to get to pitches most of the time. A ‘hitters’ mentality is needed. Most likely the pitch is grazing the corner in front of the plate and could be a ball or two off/out when it gets to the glove. For drops and curves you must move forward in the box if it’s being called regularly and appears un-hittable. Work on posture also if low and away is the un-hittable pitch.

edit: yes the zone is bigger for lower levels. The umps try to level the playing field some of the time. A slower pitcher will get ‘more’ plate. A faster dominant one not as much.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478