Approach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I said earlier that the approach of a D1 hitter facing world's best will/may need to be different than a 14U hitter. And a 14U player may have to refine their approach as pitching gets tougher. But for the record and so I dont have to review 10 pages of rhetoric, could you please in 200 words or less, define "the approach you stole from 4 time first team all pac-12player."

lol. You guys gotta stop licking up the gravy and eat the steak !! I’ve said it 3 times or more already. Cut the plate in half. Work the middle of the field. It is a mental and physical advantage when you approach critical situations this way.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Cut the plate in half. Work the middle of the field. It is a mental and physical advantage when you approach critical situations this way.

When you say "cut the plate in half", does that mean the batter is looking for outside pitches (or inside, if they choose), and will take everything else?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
When you say "cut the plate in half", does that mean the batter is looking for outside pitches (or inside, if they choose), and will take everything else?
I think that's what he is saying. And against the best of the best pitching, it might be a good idea. If a hitter is simply outmatched this might be their only hope. In my experience (8 to 14 y/o) almost every hitter has a max speed they can hit. And this can lead to players quitting the game. If the player is swinging after the ball is in the catcher's glove it isn't fun anymore. And it is a reason I like pitching machines. I can crank it up and show her what 65 mph looks like. A hitter may look great a front toss and tee work but when comes game time and the pitcher is throwing 65 mph she is simply outmatched. And cutting the plate in half MAY give her a chance.

Jun 8, 2016
I think that's what he is saying. And against the best of the best pitching, it might be a good idea. If a hitter is simply outmatched this might be their only hope. In my experience (8 to 14 y/o) almost every hitter has a max speed they can hit. And this can lead to players quitting the game. If the player is swinging after the ball is in the catcher's glove it isn't fun anymore. And it is a reason I like pitching machines. I can crank it up and show her what 65 mph looks like. A hitter may look great a front toss and tee work but when comes game time and the pitcher is throwing 65 mph she is simply outmatched. And cutting the plate in half MAY give her a chance.
I don’t think not swing is the suggestion..adjust the best you can (with 2 strikes)would probably be the suggestion.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
@Eric F, @Rolling Hard

cutting the plate in half is 2 things. Look down and out. What this does is It keeps body posture inline (mentally). This enables depth and direction. Posture must also be right or neutral. Hip line and spine angle should be 90 degrees and at an 20-30 degree angle from its origin until toe touch (Flat hips sink ships). That’s when adjusting to pitches occurs. The hips will adjust a bit down or a bit up if needed.

1638844425496.gif

When you can maintain posture properly, adjusting is about seeing the ball and reacting. If you do so on time you will get the barrel to the ball (spacing) BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY through the ball (direction).

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
If you don’t have some anterior tilt (posture) into toe touch you don’t have your legs (glutes) and a few things happen.. spacing will be lost meaning inside pitches will be hit foul. The hips are in the way so the hands must come around. The ability to wait on the low and away pitch will dissipate bc when the hips extend early you stand up which raises the knob of the bat which puts you over and around the ball. The hips are pulling too early (centripetal to centrifugal). The hands will set the direction of the swing. The hips will keep the body and hands going in the same direction longer or pull them off line.

So it’s not hit outside pitches or low pitches. Just ensure that your body is able to make adjustments as deep as possible with space to operate. Thinking outside and down does that coupled w a good set up or posture. Watch Mikes belt line not change one bit on the low pitch but comes up some for the other two. Notice the shorter stride for the higher pitches? Good posture w good reactions. Miggy set low but comes up pretty quickly.

edit: so when you see a pro working down and away his whole tee/toss routine. This is what he is solidifying. His ability to stay through the ball or on plane.

1638881563427.gif

1638881606252.gif

Last edited: