Appeal play?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2019
Just did a game behind the plate. Girl did a half rear slide sitting up basically and her toe was close but never touched the plate. She jumped up like she scored, other team didn't say anything. Do I call her out when she enters dugout, or wait for an appeal by defense? I let it go because her team was getting blown out anyway. What's the right call?.... Still new at this.

Jun 22, 2008
A runner who has passed a base is assumed to have touched it until properly appealed. Say nothing and wait to see if the defense appeals.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

May 29, 2015
She passed it when she got up and moved on, right? 😁

Think of ”passed” as “moved on to the next logical action”. This could be advancing to the next base, attempting to advance and then retreating, overrunning first base, or heading to the dugout after “touching” home plate.

Missed bases are appeal plays all the way.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019
Just did a game behind the plate. Girl did a half rear slide sitting up basically and her toe was close but never touched the plate. She jumped up like she scored, other team didn't say anything. Do I call her out when she enters dugout, or wait for an appeal by defense? I let it go because her team was getting blown out anyway. What's the right call?.... Still new at this.

Was thinking about this one again. In this scenario, would I still signal "safe", or do nothing?.....With that said, Is an umpire required to signal "safe" or "out" when the runner is very clearly safe or out on every play? I'm thinking, if I didn't make a call on this close play, the opposing coach may see that the runner never touched home due to my not making the "safe" signal.

Jun 22, 2008
If there was no play made on her then there is nothing to signal. I have always been taught, no ball, no call. But, if there was a play attempt on her, such as a missed tag and she also did t touch the plate, the mechanic is to delay slightly and then give a safe signal. By rule she is assumed to have touched the plate once past it but you still have to rule on the missed tag.

Aug 25, 2019

If there was no play made on her then there is nothing to signal. I have always been taught, no ball, no call. But, if there was a play attempt on her, such as a missed tag and she also did t touch the plate, the mechanic is to delay slightly and then give a safe signal. By rule she is assumed to have touched the plate once past it but you still have to rule on the missed tag.

I'm still a bit confused. I'm my scenario above, the runner slid but never.touched the plate, she beat the throw. The catcher received the ball, but never tagged.the runner, thinking she was safe. Do I signal safe, when she wasn't safe since she never.touched plate, or do I s signal nothing and see if there is an appeal?

Jun 22, 2008
No play was made on the runner by the catcher, so what call is there to make? Do we signal safe every time a runner touches a base when they are advancing and no play is made, such as a double, triple etc. If no play was made then there is no signal.

Oct 3, 2019
We had a similar situation happen a few months back. Our runner rounded 1B and never touched the bag. She made it to 3B and no attempt was made to tag her out. The field umpire called her out for not touching 1B.

The HC came unglued and informed the umpire that the play has to be appealed before they can issue the out. The opposing team had no clue she missed the base initially, however, after the yelling across the field and the umpires having the on field pow wow, the HC appealed and that was the final out of the game. Lost by 1 run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28