Anyone witness any "Hissy Quits" this summer?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2019
Was the 10U getting hit or giving up walks? Were girls stealing home on wild pitches or stealing home on passed balls?

You can't blame a pitcher -- especially a 10U -- for giving up hits. At that age a pitcher's job is to throw strikes and get the ball in play. If my DD was losing 11-0 after 2 I'd be grateful she was getting pulled, but at some point the rest of the team has to make plays, too.

That third base coach seems like a bit of an asshole. 10U pitching is some hard stuff, and if a girl is willing to be out there, she doesn't deserve to be mocked even to her own parents. Maybe especially to her own parents.

The other team was hitting rocket shots to the outfield.

But her parents were complaining with the other parents when their #2 pitcher pitched the 2nd game, saying the only reason she was pitching was because her father coached an older team.

A third pitcher got removed from the team for bullying, which is why they needed a guest player that weekend.

The girl they complained about would later beat that girl’s new team in state bracket play, so I guess she could pitch afterall. The father was also hinting that another team (not the one she went to) wanted her for next year.

It’s as if the parents wanted the girl to pitch every inning of every game. I think she was over pitched to begin with, as they had her guesting a ton as well. I also think the parents wanted complete say. It was just a bad vibe all around.

I think that team has been better since both left.

Jul 31, 2015
Hissy quit? No.

But we had some parents who were pacing and growling behind the bleachers.
They eventually left.

Oct 12, 2020
I came very close to hissy quitting on my daughter's behalf this past weekend but thought better of it. Allow me to explain.

My DD is only a couple years into the sport and plays on a team that is rather optimistically labeled C level. With a good coach they could scrape together a few wins and more importantly develop the girls, many of whom are hungry...But they don't have a good coach. They have possibly the least talented coach/teacher I've ever seen. What do you do in practice when many of the kids struggle with basic fundamentals and knowledge of the game? This person had them doing bear crawl relay races in a recent practice. Allocating time to this kind of stuff when your team is being regularly slaughter-ruled by the second worst team in tournaments is puzzling. Even more puzzling is the in game "coaching" and decision making. Where do you bat the best hitter in the lineup? If you said anywhere between 1 and 4, you've run afoul of this coach's strategy. Our best swing in the order (not my DD) is either 8th or 9th. What do you say when the flashy wannabe player at 3B steals an infield popup from 2B? "Nice catch" would be the correct answer. And just extend that to the rest of this coach's decision making process. And, yes, before getting to the incident, let me say that my DD is in my opinion probably the most athletic, fundamentally sound and knowledgeable players on the team, but I'm her dad so I don't expect that to be taken at face value, but that's my pov going into this.

So we're at a tournament last weekend at which we are being characteristically flattened by the competition. A game ends, timing out with DD unable to bat and being placed on D (when not sitting the bench) where she can only be an observer to the defensive mishaps occurring in the field (many of which wouldn't happen with proper coaching). She comes over to me after the game fighting back tears and I hug her, telling her there will be other games and other chances. But that's not what is bothering her the most. I find out that as they were being destroyed and my DD kept cheering on her teammates in spite of the calamity a girl who is serially mean and cruel said "Shut up! Stop cheering!" This wasn't a first occurrence. She sits down next to people then tells them to move. She regularly called the coach a b**** in the dugout, a fact the coach was aware of as it was obliquely addressed during a team meeting. I did what I probably shouldn't have done, and brought it to the coach's attention immediately. There was some fire in my presentation. So what would you do with a player caught red handed as an obvious clubhouse cancer or whatever term you'd like to use? If you said "sit her down" or "kick her off the team," you'd be wrong. Our "coach" sat her down and said we really need her and to get ready for the next game. Suffice it to say that my anger was volcanic.

But our organization pulled the coach from softball duties moving forward so I'm hoping for a better experience next year. End of story. Thanks for tuning in. There is plenty more I could say, but I think I could have said enough. Lord knows there is plenty more, but I'll stand pat with that.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
But our organization pulled the coach from softball duties moving forward so I'm hoping for a better experience next year. End of story. Thanks for tuning in. There is plenty more I could say, but I think I could have said enough. Lord knows there is plenty more, but I'll stand pat with that.
Believe me, we have ALL been in your shoes in some form or fashion. If you can hold yourself together game to game and season to season you will be doing all right. Just be cool like Fonzie!

But will those same players be on the team in the fall? Might want to check out other options.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Hmmm whats worse than a Hissy Quiter?

Maybe its a
Hissy Fitter
A person who stays on the team and badgers the coaches on & on. Trying to get the coaches to change what they are doing to FIT their own wants/needs for the daughter.

Hissy Fitter
The complainer the coach doesnt cut for whatever reason!

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
So, we are picking up at a B-level Nationals this week. DD is a C/1B. This team has several 2021's and this is their last tournament. Yesterday, HC put DD in at 1B instead of at C. She was thrilled to play her secondary position. DH and I were actually watching from the car because it's hot as Hades in South Alabama right now.

The 2021 1st baseman's grandmother apparently did a version of hissy quit when she saw that my DD was on first. She told the girl to get her things and "we're going to the beach!" The girl was mature enough to say no and just sat the bench during the game, but Grandma stormed off in a snit. DD felt bad. As a pickup player, she felt bad that she was playing in the rostered girl's place and it's the rostered girl's last tournament ever. But then again, the girl that was catching is also a 2021 and it's her last tournament too. I think HC is just trying to be equitable, recognizing that a 5 day tournament six hours from home is expensive and wanting the pickup he invited to get playing time too. Should be interesting to see if Grandma is back this afternoon or not.

Oct 4, 2018
So, we are picking up at a B-level Nationals this week. DD is a C/1B. This team has several 2021's and this is their last tournament. Yesterday, HC put DD in at 1B instead of at C. She was thrilled to play her secondary position. DH and I were actually watching from the car because it's hot as Hades in South Alabama right now.

The 2021 1st baseman's grandmother apparently did a version of hissy quit when she saw that my DD was on first. She told the girl to get her things and "we're going to the beach!" The girl was mature enough to say no and just sat the bench during the game, but Grandma stormed off in a snit. DD felt bad. As a pickup player, she felt bad that she was playing in the rostered girl's place and it's the rostered girl's last tournament ever. But then again, the girl that was catching is also a 2021 and it's her last tournament too. I think HC is just trying to be equitable, recognizing that a 5 day tournament six hours from home is expensive and wanting the pickup he invited to get playing time too. Should be interesting to see if Grandma is back this afternoon or not.

Why did they need your DD? I wouldn't have gone full-Grandma in her shoes, but would have been a bit miffed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom