Anyone witness any "Hissy Quits" this summer?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 13, 2020
I will have to use this ‘hissy quit’ term now! we just got back from a regional tournament (last big tournament of the year for DD team) and shockingly surprised we didn’t have any fights happen between parents Since DD team is going through a mess of issues. Sure did have to fake it a lot at the team bonding events with some parents .. which was very painful. All the issues have just been brewing for a while and end of the season losses at a big tournament is the cherry on top of the sh*t cake.

Jun 9, 2021
[/QUOTE]
That is
Maybe that is why some of these big orgs roster 20+ per team?
20? My god. Was just thinking of this today as my daughter is going through the tryout circuit how many is appropriate but never even considered a number north of 13...

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
20? My god. Was just thinking of this today as my daughter is going through the tryout circuit how many is appropriate but never even considered a number north of 13...
Possibly because there are
Hissy Quiters
Coaches carry extra.

Does the extra push the
Hissy Quiters
to leave? Could be.

Jul 9, 2019
Years ago in NC our team imploded on the last day. Our coach asked a substitute pitcher to come help us out. She played 0 innings the whole time we were there. The mom is a nice woman but was livid after spending that much money to help out and not play an inning. The No 3 was scheduled to pitch and the coach put in another at the last minute. The dad, an assistant, packed up their things and left, letting anyone who would listen why they were leaving.

By the time we got to the car we had tryouts set for our next team.
My DD was trying out for a team mid-season (because of a coaching issue). So her tryout was a sub at a tournament. We told that coach we could only play on Saturday and wouldn't be available for Sunday. No issues at this point because it was short notice. So they proceeded to only play her in one inning at catcher and she only had one at bat (a walk). When the assistant coach said she'll get more playing time in the bracket tomorrow, I kindly reminded him that we weren't going to be there tomorrow. The look on his face was one of "oh crap, I messed up". For reference the head coach was out of town for work and the assistant was running the show. And also for reference the assistant coaches kid was their #1 catcher. Needless to say my daughter chose not to play on that team. That team imploded by the end of the season.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
My DD was trying out for a team mid-season (because of a coaching issue). So her tryout was a sub at a tournament. We told that coach we could only play on Saturday and wouldn't be available for Sunday. No issues at this point because it was short notice. So they proceeded to only play her in one inning at catcher and she only had one at bat (a walk). When the assistant coach said she'll get more playing time in the bracket tomorrow, I kindly reminded him that we weren't going to be there tomorrow. The look on his face was one of "oh crap, I messed up". For reference the head coach was out of town for work and the assistant was running the show. And also for reference the assistant coaches kid was their #1 catcher. Needless to say my daughter chose not to play on that team. That team imploded by the end of the season.
Geeez sloppy coaching situation.
Have heard/seen this scenario befor.

Remember a coach who said they really needed a catcher.
Family gets the opportunity, come play in our friendlies lets do a look see.
And nope....
Family drives 60 miles to games...and
Player/catcher trying out got a couple innings at 3rd out of 3 games.

After games, coach came over to speak with parent...
All excuses...
'uhhh well next time uhhh' stumbling thru words.

Dad was already in the
'this is a NO mode.'
Just said to his dd
Grab your bag lets go.
Turned and looked at the coach and said
'Bye'

👉Coach that was a blow-it!
Hand the family some gas $$$ and say sorry.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Geeez sloppy coaching situation.
Have heard/seen this scenario befor.

Remember a coach who said they really needed a catcher.
Family gets the opportunity, come play in our friendlies lets do a look see.
And nope....
Family drives 60 miles to games...and
Player/catcher trying out got a couple innings at 3rd out of 3 games.

After games, coach came over to speak with parent...
All excuses...
'uhhh well next time uhhh' stumbling thru words.

Dad was already in the
'this is a NO mode.'
Just said to his dd
Grab your bag lets go.
Turned and looked at the coach and said
'Bye'

👉Coach that was a blow-it!
Hand the family some gas $$$ and say sorry.
This is situation completely avoidable. You ask a player to help out your team, since you are looking for a player to round out the team. You give her some garbage innings and expect a family to be excited about joining your team?

If I am asking a player to help out my team, I am putting my best foot forward so she and the family have a good experience and will want to come back. Sales 101. Tryouts go both ways. I am sure that made the dad's decision pretty easy. LOL.

Nov 22, 2019
My 10-U daughter was guest pitching for a team, and their #1 pitcher was getting rocked. The score is 11-0 after 2 innings when they pull her for my DD. The game is being live-streamed, and the feed catches the girl's mom telling her husband who is coaching that because the head coach pulled her daughter, they lost a pitcher. Father is like she had cramps, and mother said I don't care.

Next day the girl is pitching again in bracket play and once again getting rocked, and the head coach is at 3rd base. She turns to the parents: "Well can't blame the defense on this."

There was even more drama than just this during the weekend with that team, and this was an organization that has teams in multiple states.

Two weeks later the head coach quits and takes her daughter to a new team and the pitcher also leaves and goes to a completely different team the same week. FWIW, the pitcher appears to be playing much better with her new team.

Feb 20, 2020
Was the 10U getting hit or giving up walks? Were girls stealing home on wild pitches or stealing home on passed balls?

You can't blame a pitcher -- especially a 10U -- for giving up hits. At that age a pitcher's job is to throw strikes and get the ball in play. If my DD was losing 11-0 after 2 I'd be grateful she was getting pulled, but at some point the rest of the team has to make plays, too.

That third base coach seems like a bit of an asshole. 10U pitching is some hard stuff, and if a girl is willing to be out there, she doesn't deserve to be mocked even to her own parents. Maybe especially to her own parents.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee