Anyone witness any "Hissy Quits" this summer?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Many coaches and parents think they are ready for big time...until they see big time. Teams that roll over their local competition think they can do the same on the big stage stage such as Colorado or some ABC Directional Nationals and they hit adversity realizing they are not as good as they think they are. Colorado it seems is a place of many broken dreams. Used to coach a kid that got on a "big time" 12U team that obliterated every team they faced. By the time that team left Colorado they had dissolved. The team couldn't handle losing and crazy as it seems some kids played very little. Those parents imploded of course and the fact that they didn't perform up to their standards (They anticipating winning it all) caused an chaotic Hissy Quit. Many of those same kids went on to Big time TB programs and on to college. I wonder if I can go back and find their results of that tourney?

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I suspect teams that implode in Colorado already have stuff going on but parents aren't willing to destroy the opportunity beforehand. But when they get on the big stage and see it doesn't smooth over their problems, rather highlights them, then they have no reason to hang on anymore. And tempers are pretty hot at those moments.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I have seen players disappear from IDT without a word when they figure out they won't get the playing time they expected, and listened to other parents gripe when they learn, but can't accept, that the other teams who play twice as many games and practice 3x as much are so much better than ours.

Jun 8, 2016
I have seen players disappear from IDT without a word when they figure out they won't get the playing time they expected, and listened to other parents gripe when they learn, but can't accept, that the other teams who play twice as many games and practice 3x as much are so much better than ours.
I am always amazed, especially in this day and age where 90% of teams have their games livestreamed, that people are so unaware of what is out there in terms of talent. It is either that or they are not able to recognize ability/talent when they see it...or both.

Jul 5, 2016
I am always amazed, especially in this day and age where 90% of teams have their games livestreamed, that people are so unaware of what is out there in terms of talent. It is either that or they are not able to recognize ability/talent when they see it...or both.

More than a few parents - I can proudly say I am not one of these - cannot properly assess their own child's athletic abilities, even when staring at the numbers. Add to that some parents who simply don't care and will push for their kid to play even when they clearly are out of their depth.

May 29, 2019
This is actually a really good topic! I'll have to confer with my DD when I see her later, but there are easily double-digit hissy quitters that she played with from 10U through now. They had one last tournament 🤭 Maybe that is why some of these big orgs roster 20+ per team?

We always joked that the Queen song "Another One Bites the Dust" was really about her softball teammates. We also joked that Nationals is where teams go to implode.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee