Anyone still playing? Got shut down again here in So Cal

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2019
Wisconsin has been running as normally as possible since June. Some tournaments from May got pushed back to August. Other than that things are running as usual. Thank God we didn't waste a whole year. Four weekends left playing friendlies once or twice a week. Try outs are pushed back to August.

May 12, 2016
Interesting isnt it?! To read the Softball activity in other States...
Lack of overall leadership will do that.. seems like even within the state there are inconsistencies..

In Ontario Canada most regions are entering stage 3 today.. we have been posting fewer than 200 new cases a day for weeks, still no ball being played. Face masks are by law when entering any indoor Public establishment. Government is being very cautious And careful returning to pre COVID

May 6, 2015
NJ here, DDs team started practices late June, played small tournament last weekend, one day coming up this weekend. players in dugouts, coaches wearing masks, parents in OF and on foule lines past bleachers.

However, lots of teams here and in neighboring states were practicing on the down low all throughout.

the real bugger is tryouts, DD must move up Aug 31 (team is mostly first year 12us, DD is 2007), since there are a lot of tournaments in late july aug around here to try and make up.

Aug 16, 2019
NORTH TEXAS
Even with the cases counts rising in Texas we are still playing in the Dallas / Fort Worth area. Had a tournament last weekend, Got one this weekend. and USSSA southern nationals next weekend. Still no cases among our team or team family or no word of any cases from a team we have played.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
In Ontario Canada most regions are entering stage 3 today.. we have been posting fewer than 200 new cases a day for weeks, still no ball being played. Face masks are by law when entering any indoor Public establishment. Government is being very cautious And careful returning to pre COVID
When did softball stop there?

May 29, 2015
Saw a Tweet (if I remember correctly) from Tampa Bay Ray Keavan Smith this week commenting about how disgusted Floridians look at him and his teammates when they go out in public wearing masks. Smith is fighting for a roster spot. This is his livelihood. If he tests positive he sits, and next catcher on the list gets the playing time. It's very serious for most of these players which haven't made their millions. And this is the response the state gives him for protecting his livelihood.

I am trying out a new policy for myself to try to avoid the politics ... I am opening responses in a separate tab, reading the whole thread, and coming back to see if I feel responding is appropriate. I may or may not be successful ...

On this one I want to say OF COURSE this is the response he gets. This has been the problem all along. While I feel for him fighting for a roster spot and pursuing his dream ... is that the right thing for the greater good? Do you expect people to be sympathetic to a "multi-millionaire trying to play a game and increasing chances to spread a virus during a pandemic?" Now think about this for the people who just make ends meet but have been told their livelihood may not be important and they cannot do it. Is a baseball game THAT important?

I am trying not to come down on one side or the other, but am just trying to put perspective on this because I think the VERSUS mentality on this issue is what is screwing us royally. If we have some perspective and understanding of WHY the other side thinks what they do, maybe we can finally start solving this problem. EVERYBODY thinks their situation is more important or not impact the larger picture. Some may be right, some may be wrong.

May 29, 2015
Warning: Opposing point of view
Ever wonder why people are skeptical?
In late February Fauci was interviewed on good morning America and said 3 important things.
1) American's were not at risk of Covid becoming a issue.

2) Masks should not be worn by the average American

3) Cruise ships were safe and Americans should continue to cruise

Me and my wife looked at each other like yeah right. Gotta be crazy to go on a cruise.

20 days later the same highly respected doctor stood at a podium to share that without instant lockdown 2.2 million Americans would die.

Now mistakes happen but how do people trust anything these people say?

Fact is that there are zero experts on Covid. If you follow this virus and read topics online about it, every day there is a different theory.

Not trying to call you out @BT3100 , but I think this has also been a large part of the problem. We are dealing with an unknown virus, but people expect ALL the answers NOW.

Maybe the most egregious error in all of this was NOT framing it that way from the start. Instead, people (including elected officials) are not listening to experts who are working through the problem because their Twitter feed knows more than a trained life-long scholar and professional who is actually working through the matter. People have thrown the baby out with the bath water ... and surprise, it is not working.

May 29, 2015
I go back and forth on whether the east coast and to a lesser extent, where I'm at in Chicago really did things right, or if we just got hit so hard earlier that it looks right now.

For the mess Arizona seems to be, their deaths would still need to be over 5x higher than they are to reach New York/New Jersey levels. Or almost double to reach Illinois (mainly "Chicagoland").

People rip on how Texas has handled things, but their deaths would need to be about 15x higher to reach New Jersey levels.

In the end, I wonder how much it matters. Seems like the virus will eventually get everywhere and hopefully then burn itself out. Just seems like it's a constant plan of "wait 2 weeks".

I agree with this Cougar, being downstate from you (for a few more weeks).

I think our intent was good and we made progress, but our execution was flawed. NO enforcement meant NO long term results.

My county (Sangamon) had seen a drop off in rates until people got lax (or fed up). This has been going on since March, but last week we recorded 1/6th of all our reported cases. It isn't over. NOW local politicians are deciding "Oh, I guess we should get tough on enforcement."

Oct 4, 2018
Lack of overall leadership will do that.. seems like even within the state there are inconsistencies..

Jealous. Congrats and enjoy. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812