Anyone still playing? Got shut down again here in So Cal

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 11, 2018
this is pretty powerful filmmaking by a youth amateur. My DD is a bit older than the girl in the film, but the parallels make my heart bleed...

this is pretty much what went on with my daughter and her friends all battling depression due to their world being torn apart and basically becoming prisoners. its hard for them to understand they have to give up school, sport and a social life for a virus that has no effect on them statistically. whats best for the kids emotionally is schools opening back up this fall.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
this is pretty much what went on with my daughter and her friends all battling depression due to their world being torn apart and basically becoming prisoners. its hard for them to understand they have to give up school, sport and a social life for a virus that has no effect on them statistically. whats best for the kids emotionally is schools opening back up this fall.

Thank you for sharing that film. I think that we adults mean well, but we have minimized how difficult this pandemic has been for kids. When the adults are running around like chickens with their heads cut off and no one seems to know what the heck is going on, imagine how scary that is for a kid. We need to be more empathic to their perspective; they don't have the same wide lens that adults do.

Jan 22, 2011
As a teacher I'm a bit biased...but blaming the teachers if the extended online learning isn't perfect or much better isn't understanding the position of the teacher and their usual lack of supplies, tech, funds, and time to prepare the way we actually would prepare if it was up to us.

Most teachers dont get paid in the summer...but we are supposed to come up with completely new curriculum for online learning. Even if we did (because most of us have worked for nothing just in case)..we are limited by what our districts and Admin will pay for. Many students don't have computers or fast enough internet access. Some dont have parents that speak english to help...some kids don't understand english well enough either. So as a teacher, I can have all these amazing online blended learning lessons, but if the kids won't do the work or can't do the work that where the biggest issues are.

I teach Computer Graphics and Visual Art and Photography...if kids are in my classroom lab they have access to very $$$ software and equipment. But districts don't have the funding to provide every student that same software or cameras...or let alone a computet powerful enough to run that software.

When it comes to online learning, some subjects are more able to be succesful than others just based on what is needed at home for every student. The teachers can only do what they can with what they have to provide their students. But I can guarantee that the teachers are spending many hours planning and trying to find a solution...and not getting paid for it. But.. we kind of know its part of the job we've been doing it all along.

Thank you Quigs10. My daughter took a Digital Art and Amination class that just ended online. She enjoyed it and part of the tuition paid for a 1 year license with the Adobe products, but to be productive in the class she needed two computers. One for Zoom and one to do the course work during class.

Jan 22, 2011
My kid did not thrive with remote learning. That was mostly due to her own lack of effort, though. That said, she does better with a more hands-on learning experience.

I was talking with a parent on our 16U team this weekend. He has 2 daughters that will be in private HS next year. He's really struggling with justifying the amount of money he will be paying for 100% remote learning. I told him that he should save that money, and have his girls get 100% remote learning through the public HS. He knows my motivation is completely selfish. Our HS softball team could really use another good player next year (assuming we actually get to play).

My DD did ok, but does much better with a hands-on learning experiencing. Her school is setting up cameras in every classroom and are hoping for a model where half the students in the classroom are in the classroom and the other half are attending from home, and rotate every week.

Her high school volleyball team has lost two players and HS softball team likely will loose their P1 because their parents can't justify private school tuition if there is no sports and remote learning.

Luckily my DD is an introvert, so was doing mostly ok. My DW is an extrovert, so I sent them to spend time with her brother for most of the summer. Much better to be where there is a couple acres, 3 cousins, 3 dogs, a pool, and a sand volleyball court than mostly stuck in the house in California.

I told her softball coach I'll fly her back once he's had two officially sanctioned practices. Luckily I didn't fly her back when they almost had a double header a couple weeks ago.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2014
We live in Utah, and most of the state is still open for sporting events, for better or worse. USA, USSSA, USA Preps, and other organizations have events planned all over the state. Salt Lake County is pretty much shut down for sporting events, however, so the tournaments are in other cities like St George, Heber, Kaysville, etc. We played almost every weekend in June, and have 2 tourneys in July. As a team family, we have pretty much decided we're all in it together. Do the best we can to minimize risk, but still allow the girls an opportunity to get games in.

Oct 16, 2019
We live in West Virginia and the Governor has said he will not do anymore statewide shutdowns, but will do it by county. We just played this past weekend in one of the most affected areas, Morgantown, but that county and city may be shut down soon. So, as long as we are scheduled to play in areas that are not considered hotspots, I think youth sports will continue to be permitted in those areas where the virus is not as bad.
In Morgantown, the Health Department was requiring masks in all areas of parks where people would gather during games (restrooms, concession, etc) and asked everyone near the fields to practice social distancing; while people appeared to be social distancing to some extent, very few besides my family had masks on when required to do so and it was disheartening.

ceas04

Fastpitch Dad
Aug 29, 2018
Massachusetts
Everything here in Massachusetts is still going on, but the landscape has changed. Tournaments, as we know them, are not allowed; so they the augmented club tournaments. USA softball did a club league. The state doesn't allow you to play more than one team in the same day, so DD's team is playing doubleheaders that also carry into the week, rather than the typical F-S-S schedule. No contact, infield mound visits, high-fives, lining up after the game etc... Spectators can't sit in the stands so you are supposed to distant in your own chair 6ft apart etc. 8 games in, I can tell you that isn't enforced and parents are just together with a little more space between chairs...some with masks, some without. The girls are all more than excited to be out there though and it's great to see.
DD is playing town travel as well, and the set-up is basically the same at home and the two neighboring cities/towns we traveled to.

Jul 13, 2014
Nashville, TN
Last weekend capped 7 weekends in a row for my DD here in central Ohio. While Berliner complex was only recently opened, the surrounding towns have picked up the slack. There were guidelines, but happy to report nary a mask wearer to be found; felt like a return to normalcy.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2015
We live in Colorado but have travelled a lot to get games in since we just recently were able to start playing tourneys here. We have played every weekend since Memorial Day (WY, OK and KS) and I can't believe the difference it has made in DD's personality and demeanor. She is finally herself again. She does not have social media (her choice) so she was definitely having struggles staying connected. Now she is seeing her friends on a regular basis and has some "normal". We play SB in HS in the fall in CO so she is really hoping she gets to have a HS season. She wants to go back to school in person but wants softball even more - she did fine distance learning - just missed her friends. Crazy how now the TB season is almost over and her coach will no longer be coaching so the team is disbursing to several other teams. Ugh 2020 sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802