Anyone still playing? Got shut down again here in So Cal

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
My kid did not thrive with remote learning. That was mostly due to her own lack of effort, though. That said, she does better with a more hands-on learning experience.

I was talking with a parent on our 16U team this weekend. He has 2 daughters that will be in private HS next year. He's really struggling with justifying the amount of money he will be paying for 100% remote learning. I told him that he should save that money, and have his girls get 100% remote learning through the public HS. He knows my motivation is completely selfish. Our HS softball team could really use another good player next year (assuming we actually get to play).
I think taking attendance in real time at each class makes the difference. It was like real school sorta. The idea putting info out there for the student to take in at their leisure ain't gonna work.

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
I think taking attendance in real time at each class makes the difference. It was like real school sorta. The idea putting info out there for the student to take in at their leisure ain't gonna work.

I have twin 9-year-olds (boy/girl). Ellie did fine enough in 3rd grade through their "remote learning", but my son struggled. She's the one in school that likes it, likes doing work and is an overachiever. My son, on the other hand, hates school work and does the least amount as possible - yet still manages to get good grades. He struggled.

That said, if virtual school is anything close to what my kids went through at the end of spring, then I'll be greatly disappointed. It was a joke. It was awful. And I don't blame the teachers, because wtf pandemic. But I will blame them and the District if virtual learning is mandated (right now in our district it's a choice) and they've had months to prepare for this ish and virtual learning isn't any better than it was in the spring.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
I have twin 9-year-olds (boy/girl). Ellie did fine enough in 3rd grade through their "remote learning", but my son struggled. She's the one in school that likes it, likes doing work and is an overachiever. My son, on the other hand, hates school work and does the least amount as possible - yet still manages to get good grades. He struggled.

That said, if virtual school is anything close to what my kids went through at the end of spring, then I'll be greatly disappointed. It was a joke. It was awful. And I don't blame the teachers, because wtf pandemic. But I will blame them and the District if virtual learning is mandated (right now in our district it's a choice) and they've had months to prepare for this ish.

Don't be surprised if the choice disappears. Our district has been walking down the "choice" road, too, but they also have a history of following the lead of LAUSD. I'm pretty much expecting our district to follow again,

Jan 29, 2016
My son is "attending" Arizona State starting in August. Their plan is to have everyone on campus, but most/all classes will still be some mix of in-person and online. They are allowing full online too, for people that might not be comfortable with heading to Tempe just yet. My son emailed all his potential instructors to see if any had some feedback on how hard it might be to keep up if he went with all online for fall. The one actually replied that she understands him wanting to stay home, and that she doesn't want to go to live classes either...
I believe Arizona State has had many online classes for years. At least they have the infrastructure and experience with this way of schooling. Probably picked a great place to be during all of this.

Mar 10, 2020
Don't be surprised if the choice disappears.

Our district has been walking down the "choice" road, too, but they also have a history of following the lead of LAUSD. I'm pretty much expecting our district to follow again,
Will anyone be surprised ever again.

Mar 6, 2016

That said, if virtual school is anything close to what my kids went through at the end of spring, then I'll be greatly disappointed. It was a joke. It was awful. And I don't blame the teachers, because wtf pandemic. But I will blame them and the District if virtual learning is mandated (right now in our district it's a choice) and they've had months to prepare for this ish and virtual learning isn't any better than it was in the spring.

As a teacher I'm a bit biased...but blaming the teachers if the extended online learning isn't perfect or much better isn't understanding the position of the teacher and their usual lack of supplies, tech, funds, and time to prepare the way we actually would prepare if it was up to us.

Most teachers dont get paid in the summer...but we are supposed to come up with completely new curriculum for online learning. Even if we did (because most of us have worked for nothing just in case)..we are limited by what our districts and Admin will pay for. Many students don't have computers or fast enough internet access. Some dont have parents that speak english to help...some kids don't understand english well enough either. So as a teacher, I can have all these amazing online blended learning lessons, but if the kids won't do the work or can't do the work that where the biggest issues are.

I teach Computer Graphics and Visual Art and Photography...if kids are in my classroom lab they have access to very $$$ software and equipment. But districts don't have the funding to provide every student that same software or cameras...or let alone a computet powerful enough to run that software.

When it comes to online learning, some subjects are more able to be succesful than others just based on what is needed at home for every student. The teachers can only do what they can with what they have to provide their students. But I can guarantee that the teachers are spending many hours planning and trying to find a solution...and not getting paid for it. But.. we kind of know its part of the job we've been doing it all along.

Oct 4, 2018

worked fine for us and millions of others. It takes more discipline for sure. Kids can do it.

and this fall’s virtual schooling will be better than last Spring when they had no time to plan it.

Jul 28, 2019
DD attends private school in Orange County. I know the school will feel pressured to follow suit in fear of not, and if something bad happens and then they would be accused mismanagement for not following. The domino effect is real. Her school announced on a wednesday that school was closing that Friday. Never understood why that Thursday was OK to go to school. The following monday we had a test Zoom and Tuesday went live Zoom where attendance was taken for every class. (8,9,10,11,and 1pm) She thrived and I actually think remote learning works for well her. Not all kids learn the same way but if done correctly Zoom works. If the kids go back to school with mask and social distancing the teachers will spend their day enforcing rules/guidelines and will not teaching.
As a middle school teacher, this is one of my big concerns.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802