Anyone still playing? Got shut down again here in So Cal

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 10, 2020
For some it has been more than an "uncomfortable (a deadly decision)." No one should have to decide if employment is worth risking their life.
A comment like this while expressing sympathy does not address the hardship of millions.
Is a kind sentiment. Not applicable.

Jul 14, 2018
Played our first tournament in NJ this past weekend. It got shortened to a one-day affair after some torrential rain on Friday (I was starting to suspect the universe was conspiring against us).

The girls were rusty and tense, despite practicing regularly since the end of June. First inning of game one was rocky, but they settled down and played well after that. It was terrific to sit outside and watch my girl play three games after eight months away.

Game on the field was unchanged, but they made the girls spread out along the baseline fences rather than cluster in the dugout. Parents were relegated to the outfield.

Everyone spread out and kept their distance until it was over. DD’s team came in second and got trophies, at which point social distancing went out the window as we all crammed together to get pictures. Oh well...

Still scheduled to play in NJ next weekend, fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Quigs10 -

Do you foresee most teachers showing up for work ?

It seems like we’re asking a lot of teachers. In some areas what’s being asked would violate their contracts (on top of the health risks).

Los Angeles Unified School District announced today that campuses will be closed for the coming school year. We can expect that most/all of the public school districts in Southern California will follow.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Los Angeles Unified School District announced today that campuses will be closed for the coming school year. We can expect that most/all of the public school districts in Southern California will follow.

wow.

"year" as in: the entire school year? remainder of 2020? or just starting remotely, and see how things develop?

Apr 28, 2014
So.... I went back to research some articles from around March 01.

It was in fact, the US Surgeon General that pleaded for Americans to stop buying masks becasue they were in short supply. My apologies.

Fauci made the case that mask-wearing would make Americans complacent, and would losen habits of distancing, hand washing, etc. and that masks might make people touch their faces more than normal. (it was a '60 Minutes' interview, not CNN, BTW)

Redfield (head of CDC) also advised the general public not to wear masks during this time period.

As well as the WHO.

So, it's pretty plain that the understanding of the virus, and how it is transmitted has evolved over time. And so has the official messaging.
Which makes it important to call out the dangers of referencing messaging from March 01 and applying it to July.

What i do know, is that whatever steps and policies NY and other New England states instituted, and continue to practice - it worked, and is working.
NY has a quarter of all deaths in the US. Next closest state is NJ wirh almost 14k dead. No state in the northeast should be a model for anything other than what not to do.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
DD attends private school in Orange County. I know the school will feel pressured to follow suit in fear of not, and if something bad happens and then they would be accused mismanagement for not following. The domino effect is real. Her school announced on a wednesday that school was closing that Friday. Never understood why that Thursday was OK to go to school. The following monday we had a test Zoom and Tuesday went live Zoom where attendance was taken for every class. (8,9,10,11,and 1pm) She thrived and I actually think remote learning works for well her. Not all kids learn the same way but if done correctly Zoom works. If the kids go back to school with mask and social distancing the teachers will spend their day enforcing rules/guidelines and will not teaching.

Jul 13, 2020
We have played 1 tournament in Louisiana and two tournaments in Texas. Each one was completely full with a long waiting list. Is that what other areas across the country are experiencing as well?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
DD attends private school in Orange County. I know the school will feel pressured to follow suit in fear of not, and if something bad happens and then they would be accused mismanagement for not following. The domino effect is real. Her school announced on a wednesday that school was closing that Friday. Never understood why that Thursday was OK to go to school. The following monday we had a test Zoom and Tuesday went live Zoom where attendance was taken for every class. (8,9,10,11,and 1pm) She thrived and I actually think remote learning works for well her. Not all kids learn the same way but if done correctly Zoom works. If the kids go back to school with mask and social distancing the teachers will spend their day enforcing rules/guidelines and will not teaching.

My kid did not thrive with remote learning. That was mostly due to her own lack of effort, though. That said, she does better with a more hands-on learning experience.

I was talking with a parent on our 16U team this weekend. He has 2 daughters that will be in private HS next year. He's really struggling with justifying the amount of money he will be paying for 100% remote learning. I told him that he should save that money, and have his girls get 100% remote learning through the public HS. He knows my motivation is completely selfish. Our HS softball team could really use another good player next year (assuming we actually get to play).

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28