Anyone like outs at 2nd?? 10U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
While they can always get better, Marcela has SS feeds down pretty well technique wise..but those are easier. Working with her on 2B stuff...eek. When to do a power feed (e.g. what you call backhand I think) vs pivot , making sure you don't come up out of your legs on a pivot throw, etc. :sick:
Brandon Philips calls it the “front hand” toss - it’s around the 1:10 mark.

Jun 8, 2016
Brandon Philips calls it the “front hand” toss - it’s around the 1:10 mark.

Yeah I only played 2B in college really ( I played a bit in Legion for one year when I was 15) and I never called them anything. I saw guys on TV doing them so I did them when I thought I needed to....LOL! College coach just said ok your arm sucks compared to the current starting SS so hey you are now a 2B..have at it :cautious: I think I got power feed from Antonelli.

Oct 26, 2019
I played 3B at the college level, but grew up a SS. I always felt like I had SS hands and 1B speed so third was a good compromise. When I played 2B the few times I did I always felt it was the easiest of the infield positions. Easy to see the ball off the RHH bats and more time to choose a hop with the shorter throw.

Jun 8, 2016
I played 3B at the college level, but grew up a SS. I always felt like I had SS hands and 1B speed so third was a good compromise. When I played 2B the few times I did I always felt it was the easiest of the infield positions. Easy to see the ball off the RHH bats and more time to choose a hop with the shorter throw.
Only thing harder about 2B is DP feeds/turns.

Dec 2, 2019
My daughters 8u team at least in the infield is mostly second year players. They will almost always try for the lead runner. They don't always make the play, but at least they are thinking and being aggressive. And when they make the wrong play it's a teaching moment.

Jul 31, 2019
I think 10U is a pretty good age to teach the SS to cover second on a groundball to the right side and vice versa for the second baseman. I have seen groundballs to third with runners on 1st and 2nd at 10U and the third baseman throws it across the field to first because they have been programmed to do so when simply tagging her or touching 3rd would have been the smart/easier play. Yes they are going to mess it up, but that’s fine. It’s a teachable moment for the next time they are in that situation. Now I’m not advocating for trying to turn 2 with 6 year olds. Common sense needs to apply at every level, but it’s amazing what young kids are capable of when you get them thinking for themselves and not just robotically throwing it to first every time.
Teaching kids to rotate to the proper bases at 10U for sure. What I'm saying is, if there is a runner on 1B and I have a GB to 3B, P, SS etc, they are throwing to 1B. If the game dictates that I have to get a lead runner at home, for instance, then we adjust.

Jul 31, 2019
On a second note, where do you play your second baseman? She has to be positioned to get to the bag in time, and cover 1st base if needed. Wouldn't it make more sense if she could play a little deeper and cover more ground?

Oct 26, 2019
On a second note, where do you play your second baseman? She has to be positioned to get to the bag in time, and cover 1st base if needed. Wouldn't it make more sense if she could play a little deeper and cover more ground?
At 10U our second baseman usually ends up playing right in front of the baseline and depending on situation shaded a little more to second base than first base. Way more balls are hit weakly in front of her than hard at her so we play her more in then we would at higher levels.

On a bunt we rarely ever have her cover first at 10U. That’s a hard play to make for a 10U kid. On our team our pitchers are the most athletic kids we have and at 35 feet pitching distance they cover the right side just fine and we leave the 1st baseman home.

When you say if she plays deeper she can cover more ground I assume you mean on groundballs and not covering bases right?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Not certain how far deeper is in your refference.
See sometimes coaches put 2nd way back almost edge of lawn.
In this predicament
using the comment in your post~
Deeper is farther away from either base.
Would take longer to cover bases.
(covering more ground)
Longer to get to the ball.
Longer throw.
Allowing more time for runner to get to the base.

Not playing deeper is
= Cutting off angles and a shorter distance to the bases.
Can close gaps and cover bases.
Less time for runner to get to the base.

Maybe its math ? Lol
Ask @Pattar on that... :)

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019
Simply from the comment in your post
Deeper is farther away from either base.
Would take longer to cover bases. (covering more ground)
Longer to get to the ball.
Allowing more time for runner to get to the base.

Not playing deeper is
= Cutting off angles and a shorter distance to the bases.
Can close gaps and cover bases.
Less time for runner to get to the base.

Maybe its math ? Lol
Ask pattar on that... :)
That’s what I was thinking @RADcatcher. Shortest distance between 2 points being a straight line and all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45