Anyone ever use the Hitting Disc?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 15, 2009
cshilt,

I watched the video in the original post and the guy is pitching them to a batter who is hitting them. I know the palm up/palm down tossing drill your talking about I've seen that as well and yes in that drill a CD would not be a hazard.

May 13, 2008
cshilt,

I watched the video in the original post and the guy is pitching them to a batter who is hitting them. I know the palm up/palm down tossing drill your talking about I've seen that as well and yes in that drill a CD would not be a hazard.

Ah! I can't see the video right now as I'm at work and they block it. Thanks for the clarification, your comment makes sense to me now that I have context.

Sep 11, 2008
caifornia
Wouldn't this be like the fabric-like dog frisbee's?

im not sure since ive never used the dog frisbee. its like a piece of cloth with a metal ring around it, which gives it some weight. i cant cut and paste pics from this computer, but you can see a pic here:

Hitting Disk Baseball Coaching Tools

its basically a frisbee. my hitting coach had me use frisbees b4. you can also use hard plastic plates like they have in cafeterias or dining halls.

another drill is to take a bat and actually throw them. we did that too!

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
2012 -

The frisbee throw is often mentioned as similar in arm action to the swing.

I think MLB swing teaching approaches that liken the swing to an overhand or sidearm throw (not windmill) are very powerful, especially Slaught (Candrea/Enquist) and Yeager. Dixon less so.

Candrea mentions lead arm like frisbee which I think is not as good as focussing on top hand/back arm as throwing (rock skipping) which he also does, and top hand throw is what Yeager emphasizes as well.

The lead arm does NOT work like backhand frisbee throw which is what you tend to hear.

The back arm DOES resemble rock skipping up to a point in the loading for the swing.

In frisbee terms. the thing that is similar is the FOREHAND frisbee throw.

The lead arm throw action/sequence is more like golf, BUT with a bent lead arm to shorten and quicken the swing. Also more like glove arm action in the overhand throw for loading.

A link to frisbee forehand definition:

Flying disc techniques - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I especially like "the peach" or "beach thumber", see "variations".

Sep 11, 2008
caifornia
ok thanks tom. i will admit your explanation is over my head but i printed out the wiki article on frisbee grips and i will go from there! when i used the disc i just did what the coaches told me to do :). there is also a mini disc which teaches wrist snap in hitting and they gave us these at a clinic, about 3" in diameter, like a mini frisbee. i will post a pic when i find the link!

Dec 28, 2008
The thing I love about the hitting disK is that they are so portable and can be kept in your pocket if necessary and utilize literally anywhere.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812