Any tips for surviving junior high school ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Amy is, as usual, right on point.

But, I'll add something:

You are thinking too much about softball being an activity to show the prowess of your DD. But, have you noticed that we talk about "playing a game" not "working a game"? Softball is play...it is supposed to be fun.

A friend of mine was the point guard for Western Kentucky the year they went to the Final 4. Another friend is the all-time leading scorer for Georgia Tech. They used to play a little pickup ball with the rest of us. Trust me, they didn't play anywhere close to full speed and they didn't us all their tools. I'm sure they would have preferred to be in games where they could give 100%, but they nevertheless had a lot of fun *playing*. While I'm sure your DD is a fine athlete, I doubt that she is accomplished as either of those two guys, so it seems to me that your DD can somehow, someway find a way to have fun.

But, I suspect your DD is way ahead of you. She gets it. She is having fun. You should not get in the way of her enjoyment of the game, even though I'm sure it isn't high caliber softball.

Also, do you honestly think that coaches in college won't ask your DD to do things she doesn't want to do?

Last edited:

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Our area doesn't have Junior High School Softball but when DD was coming up on first year of High School Softball a friend recommended that we "sit down, shut up and wait for the season to end" and "It's only high school ball". That was the best thing that anyone could say. I keep score on my hand-held-electronic-gadget and don't say a word. The coach is a dolt, the level of play is B-level most of the time. You know what? DD has a blast playing HS ball with her friends!!!

Because DD is the only one on her team that plays Elite Softball in the summer and fall she is a far better player than anyone on her team. Like Sluggers was talking about, DD doesn't use all of her tools (she doesn't need to) and is still in the local newspaper weekly, and she earned all kinds of honors (team, league and section). She loves being the center of attention during the early spring and I am very glad that I took the other parent's advise and sit down, shut up and wait for the season to end.

I will give you the same advice that I got a couple of years ago: Sit down, shut up and wait for the season to end. It's only Jr. High School ball! Your daughter will love you for letting her be a kid and play softball with her friends.

Jul 28, 2008
My DD's jr high school doesn't have softball. Personally, I'm glad because she decided to give volleyball a shot this fall. I'm looking forward to it. I can enjoy it not knowing the game as I know softball. I get to be the ignorant parent!

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My DD's jr high school doesn't have softball. Personally, I'm glad because she decided to give volleyball a shot this fall. I'm looking forward to it. I can enjoy it not knowing the game as I know softball. I get to be the ignorant parent!

I can relate, last year was my DDs first year in volleyball. I was sitting next to 2 softball and 1 basketball dad and none of us had a clue as to what was going on. We all had a blast, because we got to enjoy our dds doing something that we couldn't critique or question the coaching. It was a lot of fun.

May 23, 2008
Also, do you honestly think that coaches in college won't ask your DD to do things she doesn't want to do?

Which is exactly why I have not talked to the coach. She has been told he has the final say, but if she wants to do the things she wants, she has to convince him to let her, without an attitude or smart mouth. She convinced him to let her run, and the other girls started to get more aggressive also.
Amy, next game I will be on my bike, but I have my son's ipod loaded with games I like!

Jun 22, 2010
We're lucky. We have a great junior high coach (he also coaches the high school team) and the caliber of ball seems pretty good to me. (I've never seen a travel ball game in my life, and never hope to see one, so I can't compare it to that.)

Sep 17, 2009
Junior high sports (especially everybody play teams) are often a step above gym class....we all don't worry about gym class, do we?

: >

We don't have a "junior high" team - all Varsity softball. Play FP in the fall here. Our varsity team now consists of 2 6th graders, 3 7th graders, 1 8th grader, 3 freshmen, 2 sophomores and 1 senior. Imagine that on a playing field! During summer workouts (3 hrs in the heat of the day), several 6th graders dropped. Reasons they gave was that the "coach just wasn't fair" and "he is just mean to the girls". Well when you have a 12yo old playing with an 18yo, you have to figure the chewings have to be equally delivered - not showing favoritism to the younger ones. Our coaches are phenomenal - LUCKY to have both of them. Do they make all the right decisions? Nope. Is it our job as parents to question? Nope. Just sit and smile and socialize!! Helps to have a totty or two, as well! :)

Oct 25, 2009
We don't have a "junior high" team - all Varsity softball. Play FP in the fall here. Our varsity team now consists of 2 6th graders, 3 7th graders, 1 8th grader, 3 freshmen, 2 sophomores and 1 senior. Imagine that on a playing field! During summer workouts (3 hrs in the heat of the day), several 6th graders dropped. Reasons they gave was that the "coach just wasn't fair" and "he is just mean to the girls". Well when you have a 12yo old playing with an 18yo, you have to figure the chewings have to be equally delivered - not showing favoritism to the younger ones. Our coaches are phenomenal - LUCKY to have both of them. Do they make all the right decisions? Nope. Is it our job as parents to question? Nope. Just sit and smile and socialize!! Helps to have a totty or two, as well! :)

You've got to be kidding. 6th, 7th, and 8th graders playing HS varsity? Something is wrong with that picture!

May 23, 2008
Never heard of such a thing, unless private school with all those grades?

Lastly, what local government has budgets for junior high ball?

No junior high or middle school ball around here.

I am sure they are a small rural school. They just don't have the numbers.
Schools around here have always had full junior high programs.
While things did slow down 3 years ago, we are going even harder than before right now. I cannot get enough qualified people for the project I head up. If you are halfway mechanical, and show up for work, I can get you 50-55 hours per week.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom