Any suggestions for more velocity and drive? Video posted

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 20, 2016
My daughter started pitching later than most girls do, but she has lots of potential. She has pretty good velocity now. We would like her to increase her velocity and have better drive mechanics before learning new pitches/spins. She just increased her stride by a foot and her timing and balance is still pretty good. Any constructive criticism (be nice☺️), and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated. 💪🏻

Video below:::::

https://youtu.be/dLjKTjm-a_E

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Welcome to DFP....I don't want to make any specific suggestions regarding your DD, I'll leave that to the "gurus" on here. I would however, suggest that you spend some serious time reading and re-reading the stickies at the top of the pitching forum. Start with Drive Mechanics and work from there.... Have fun and good luck on the journey!!

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
welcome to dfp....i don't want to make any specific suggestions regarding your dd, i'll leave that to the "gurus" on here. I would however, suggest that you spend some serious time reading and re-reading the stickies at the top of the pitching forum. Start with drive mechanics and work from there.... Have fun and good luck on the journey!!

great advice

May 14, 2015
Bismarck ND
My number one suggestion would be to look into the FR (frontside resistance) threads. This was the tip I just received for my DD. the better the resistance the better the whip got. She has picked up 1-2mph over the past two months just from the guys here with the help.

Nov 8, 2018
My daughter started pitching later than most girls do, but she has lots of potential. She has pretty good velocity now. We would like her to increase her velocity and have better drive mechanics before learning new pitches/spins. She just increased her stride by a foot and her timing and balance is still pretty good. Any constructive criticism (be nice), and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Video below:::::

https://youtu.be/dLjKTjm-a_E

Well actually her timing is really not great. It’s best to detach at 3 and land prior to 12 more like 11 to get the best arm whip. My daughter is In The same boat. Check out drive mechanics thread. Learn the drop and drive drill. My daughters timing changed in about 20 minutes. It’s amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
My daughter started pitching later than most girls do, but she has lots of potential. She has pretty good velocity now. We would like her to increase her velocity and have better drive mechanics before learning new pitches/spins. She just increased her stride by a foot and her timing and balance is still pretty good. Any constructive criticism (be nice☺️), and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Her timing is just fine. Despite the very kind suggestions on here... I would REALLY recommend that she take a moment to review her release mechanics. It's obvious that she's super-athletic... loads of potential.

The foundation to quality pitching movement is quality pitching posture.

Even though I admire her desire to power the ball - she's sacrificing so much in this quest.

Our goal is to transfer as much energy to the ball as possible, right? Nothing wrong with that... I desire that all my students do this... however, if we spend all of our time CREATING ENERGY... we leave no time to transfer it... make sense? Another way to look at it: UNNECESSARY tension in the body is where bad posture is born. It's ok to gas the ball... but you're going to need her to better organize her body, in order to make this possible.

Science proves this without question: Energy transfers from the larger body parts to the smaller body parts through STABILITY.

Take a look at this young lady, the epitome of stability. I've added a handy yellow "energy ball" to show how FROM THE GROUND UP, she organizes (stabilizes) each body part... and as she does so, energy passes to the next body part:

SIjJmjk.gif

Then... take a look at this young lady... I hope you can see the GLARING difference (I'm not referring to the obvious... I'm referring to the quality of stability):

xMbfVaW.gif

So... we need to get into a pitching posture... and stabilize it. When we do this... we open the door for the rest of the improvements that you both desire.

Lastly, take a video during the day... with a short sleeve shirt... from the 3rd base side. If you do that, we should be able to help you with her whip... tough to see with the night-blur and long-sleeve...

Best,
JS

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
She swims the glove out too early, this causes the shoulder to close prematurely and the energy in her arm(whip-IR) is lost, she pushes the ball into release. I would do lots of work from the slingshot position, focus on staying open more with the elbow leading into brush interference. This should also help her add more front side resistance.

Once again, it is often very difficult to get pitchers to feel and trust IR. They feel they have to 'drive' the ball towards the plate with the shoulder and arm.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Java is spot on in saying her #1 issue is resistance. I'd also like to add that she's very connected between her hips and shoulders. Notice in her load she squats down as she swings the ball back, then her body starts moving forward into a sprinters posture as the ball is coming forward... There is no offset timing or overlap here... not in her drive and not in her release.
We want to see the arm swing back as she's sprinting forward... as well as the front foot landed and stabilized by 2:00. This will get the involuntary hip snap that'll create some torque across her torso... The fact that she body never stops moving means there is nothing to drive the ball against (basic physics of a fulcrum and lever). We need her inertia to stop to transfer the energy through the kinetic chain. That was made clear by Java, However the issues are compounding here. By not stopping, the hips can't establish any resistance, that means no offset timing, and poor brush contact... by missing brush, she's missing the 4th point of resistance, and that'll mean less speed, accuracy, and spin.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2012
USA
Just starting and agree with the others. Loads of potential! You came to the right place! All good info above and posture is a big one. I found an old thread that doesn't have as much information since the OP isn't around anymore but will quote one of the best quotes I read long ago. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802