Any Rule about what position MUST be covered?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
A game can be played with only 8 players. Is there any rule that says what position must be covered?

The pitching position obviously has to be covered. Does catching? Not asking about commonsense, asking about rules.

Jun 22, 2008
No rules cover what positions must be covered, but, you really think an umpire is going to stand there without a catcher and be pelted by the pitcher? Any time I have seen a team playing shorthanded they have always played just 2 outfielders.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
no rules cover what positions must be covered, but, you really think an umpire is going to stand there without a catcher and be pelted by the pitcher? Any time i have seen a team playing shorthanded they have always played just 2 outfielders.

ditto.....

Jul 28, 2008
No rules cover what positions must be covered, but, you really think an umpire is going to stand there without a catcher and be pelted by the pitcher?

Now that could be entertaining. :)

Better dust off your old balloon.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
A game can be played with only 8 players. Is there any rule that says what position must be covered?

The pitching position obviously has to be covered. Does catching? Not asking about commonsense, asking about rules.

Yes. There must be a pitcher and a catcher must be within the catcher's box for there to be a pitch, by rule (ASA 6.5.A). Any other fielders may position themselves anywhere in fair territory, but not in the line of the batter's vision.

Jun 22, 2008
I forgot about that. Catchers box is so big in softball its typically not anything you ever even have to think about.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478