Any issues here?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Interestingly, a Google search brings up an old thread here. It went in the same circles we are.

I found an April 2012 Plays and Clarifications from ASA (now USA Softball): https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Softball/News/2012/April/30/April-2012-Plays-and-Clarifications?p=1

PLAY: In a Junior Olympic Fast Pitch game, the home team takes the field and all the players including the pitcher are wearing optic yellow shorts. The pitcher picks up the ball, which is optic yellow and the team at bat protest that the pitcher cannot wear anything optic yellow including her uniform.

RULING: The optic yellow shorts are legal. The only color limitations ASA has for the pitcher is the color of the glove. We also limit items worn on the pitcher’s hand, wrist, forearm, elbow and thighs.

That ruling falls back on “there is no rule on colors” (as Comp is presenting). However I disagree that that makes optic yellow shorts/pants expressly legal. The rules give the umpire jurisdiction over distracting items on the thighs because that is the release point of the ball. If the umpire deems the pants distracting (not “unsafe” as was posited in the old thread) then they are illegal.

There is no rule that says I can’t walk up and punch the pitcher in the face. That doesn’t make it legal.

Jun 22, 2008
You are completely missing the point. No one complained about pitchers wearing white pants when a white ball was used and you didn't have umpires trying to make entire teams change their uniforms because they judged the pitchers pants or shorts to be distracting. As I have stated repeatedly, there is no restrictions on the color of the uniform and no, the umpire cannot judge the pitchers uniform to be distracting. Optic yellow uniforms are completely legal.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Jun 22, 2008
Good luck with the protest you are going to get when you tell a team they cant play because you are judging the pitchers pants to be distracting. The uniform is legal and NO you cannot judge it to be distracting. You cannot judge something illegal that is by rule legal. I have posted one statement from USA say the unifromnis legal and you have found another saying it is legal.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I am looking at the face-mask and he round shape of chin area. Perhaps that is what the OP is questioning.

Jul 3, 2013
From a different thread, but it may be applicable here.

"IMO, many of today's younger umpires carry some of the written rules to the extreme trying to force a rule onto a play."

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom