Any issues here?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
There is no restrictions on uniform colors, so no you cannot judge the uniform to be distracting.

Are her pants on her thighs?

USA: A pitcher shall not wear any item on the pitching hand, wrist, forearm, elbow, or thighs which may, in the umpire’s judgment, be distracting to the batter.

NFHS (2016): A pitcher shall not wear any item on the pitching hand, wrist, arm or thighs which may, in the umpire's judgment, be distracting to the batter.

USSSA: The pitcher shall not wear any item on the pitching hand, wrist, arm or thigh that the Umpire judges to be distracting.

Jun 22, 2008
Are her pants on her thighs?

USA: A pitcher shall not wear any item on the pitching hand, wrist, forearm, elbow, or thighs which may, in the umpire’s judgment, be distracting to the batter.

NFHS (2016): A pitcher shall not wear any item on the pitching hand, wrist, arm or thighs which may, in the umpire's judgment, be distracting to the batter.

USSSA: The pitcher shall not wear any item on the pitching hand, wrist, arm or thigh that the Umpire judges to be distracting.
Been there done that. Had a team at Nationals wearing all optic yellow uniforms. There is no restrictions on the color of the uniform and no the umpire cannot arbitrarily decide they can't wear that uniform when the rules do not forbid that color. It is perfectly legal in every ruleset I am aware of.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Jun 22, 2008
And I'm fairly certain there is a case play somewhere about optic yellow uniforms.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Jun 12, 2015
A player I know was told once she couldn't wear a face mask with neon yellow like that on it.

May 29, 2015
Because the release point of a baseball pitcher does not occur near the uniform. However baseball does have rules about what can be in the hitter’s line of sight behind the pitcher. There is a reason the softball rule specifies certain points of the body. Same concept.

It is about more than just the pitcher gaining an advantage. It is a major safety concern if the hitter cannot pick up the ball that is hurtling towards her/him.

If, in your opinion as the umpire it is not a distraction, then that is what the rule says. If, in your opinion as the umpire it is a distraction, then that is what the rule says. Claiming there is no rule is not entirely accurate.

Jun 22, 2008
From USA softball.

Player's Uniform
Several phone calls and emails have been received regarding the legality of certain colors on player uniforms. Specifically, the queries concern the use of the Optic Yellow color as part of the uniform some teams are now wearing. There is nothing in the Official Rules of Softball that prohibit the wearing of the Optic Yellow color on a player uniform. Rule 3, Section 6 states that uniforms must be like in color and style; it does not prohibit a particular color.
Comments received along with the queries include that this practice is being carried out to make the ball harder to see when delivered by the pitcher. This could be true, however we must be mindful of the fact that for many years while a white softball was being used in the ASA game the predominate colors of uniforms were white and gray. More importantly, the color of the uniform being the same as the color of the ball is not a violation of Rule 3, Section 6 or Rule 6.

No rule set I am aware of has any restrictions on uniform colors. Im pretty sure NFHS also addressed it a few years ago in their clarifications.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812