Any drills to help DD stride in live hitting?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2019
My DD has a terrible time going through her load/coil and stride in live pitching. She does fine on a tee, or if I do soft toss, but in a game, she just cannot do it. I ask her why and she doesn't even realize she's not doing in unless I show her a video. I think he's just too excited and forgets.
Is there anything I can do to help her relax and swing as she does off a tee?

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
How old is she? May just be a reps thing.

What's her load look like hitting off of front toss? Perhaps a hover move, or bringing front tee towards belly button will force her to coil and stride? Just some thoughts to tinker with.

May 9, 2019
She's 9. Her load and stride look perfectly fine on the tee, it's just a mental thing where she won't do it in a game in live pitching. Even when I do front toss in practice she won't do it unless I remind her.

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
Have you considered starting her feet narrow in her stance, almost together? That'll force her to stride. Will also force her to load early and slow so she's not late every time.

May 9, 2019
Have you considered starting her feet narrow in her stance, almost together? That'll force her to stride. Will also force her to load early and slow so she's not late every time.

Funny you mention that. I did actually think about doing that but forgot about it until you just said it.!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Feet together, like Seth mentioned, might be helpful. Also, have her pay attention to how her good swings off a tee feel in her body. Ask her to make her swing feel like that in the game.

Young players often get distracted by just trying to make contact that they forget how they should be moving their body. Practice, practice, practice. Lots of crony toss. Focus on duplicating the feelings.

Sep 17, 2009
have her do soft-toss reps with REAL slow and early move-outs (not front-foot reaches) until she really burns it in and can be comfortable doing the same thing vs. a game pitch that will be both faster and possibly hit her if it's wild :) -- that reality makes moving things in workouts to live pitching really hard some times :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101