Any changes in umpire strike zones from behind pitcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
My DD is a RHP. From what I can recall, most of the umps seem to set up shaded more toward her ball arm side. We have done very well on inside drop balls to RH batters or coming up an in with a FB. The screwball can sometimes be tough because the ump cannot always tell where the ball is cutting across the plate, so it can often appear to be too inside. There have been times when we've thrown it multiple times in an inning and just couldn't get a strike call even when the pitches were very well placed. On the outside corner, I'd say the issue we've had has been more when we are ahead and trying to get the batter to chase a pitcher's pitch. Borderline strike calls, but ones you'd like to get. I wouldn't say getting the outside call on pitches thrown for clear strikes (say outer third or outer quarter of the plate) has been a problem. It's been more when you are a ball off of the outside corner (which should still be a strike) or say a ball and half, where it is maybe a borderline call.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
Having them behind the pitcher is stupid as their view is compromised.

Brevity
Brevity is the quality of being brief. It is a striking feature of written communication. Brevity means giving maximum information in the minimum number of words possible. It can be achieved by avoiding wordiness and repetition. There is an economy of words. It saves the time of the writer and the reader also. Communication should be accurate, precise, concise, and pointed. It should not be irrelevant, repetitive, and circumlocutive.

😁

Apr 1, 2017
We've only played a few games with the ump behind the pitcher, so it's a small sample size, and could just be those particular umps. But they have seemed to call a lot of high strikes.

had 1 game that we kept telling our pitcher to throw it higher, especially with 2 strikes. Told her that I know it doesn’t look like a strike to you, but tonight it is.

Apr 28, 2014
This is a tough one.
Must be very hard to call strikes from 43 feet away. At least parent umps see the pitch from where blue should be.
Good coach will learn the zone early and use it to her advantage

Apr 12, 2019
My DD lives on the outside corner with a turnover that was basically taken away from her all last weekend by an ump behind the mound and wasn't getting called strikes with a peel drop either so she tried hitting spots with her fastball that mostly bullet spins and she got clobbered! Literally! Took a line drive right in the ribs from a pitch low in the zone and right over the middle of the plate!

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Took a line drive right in the ribs from a pitch low in the zone and right over the middle of the plate!

I hope she is ok. My DD threw an outside drop last night to a RHB that wasn’t outside enough and took a hard ground ball off her right shin. Still made the out at first to end the inning. Tougher than me, that’s for sure.

Apr 12, 2019
I hope she is ok. My DD threw an outside drop last night to a RHB that wasn’t outside enough and took a hard ground ball off her right shin. Still made the out at first to end the inning. Tougher than me, that’s for sure.

Thanks, she's doing well and I hope yours is too!
Some of the girls she's playing against are bigger and stronger than their coaches and pitching from 43ft next season might be a blessing...

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
We've only played a few games with the ump behind the pitcher, so it's a small sample size, and could just be those particular umps. But they have seemed to call a lot of high strikes.

had 1 game that we kept telling our pitcher to throw it higher, especially with 2 strikes. Told her that I know it doesn’t look like a strike to you, but tonight it is.
Perhaps because their not looking at pitches from their 'umpire crouch thing' ?!!!

Visually changed what their used to doing!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee