Any Advice or Insights for Pitcher Moving to 14U?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Hi, have not posted much, but have benefitted greatly from the information, experience, and perspective found all over this site. Anyway, my DD is 13 years old and will shortly wrap up her second 12U season on an A-level club here in the mid-Atlantic. I am pretty sure at least the core of the team will form a 14U club this summer. I am curious about the different things she and I can expect as we move to 14U, primarily from the pitcher's perspective. Obviously, the first thing is that the pitching rubber moves back to 43'. For additional context, my DD has, I would say, average velocity for her age (50/51), but better than average command and change up. She is currently the #2 pitcher on the team and is more of a "pitch to contact" pitcher that generates a lot of outs on poorly hit balls. Probably averages about 3 or 4 Ks per game presently. Appreciate any insights or perspective you may have. Thanks ahead of time.

Nov 8, 2018
Hi, have not posted much, but have benefitted greatly from the information, experience, and perspective found all over this site. Anyway, my DD is 13 years old and will shortly wrap up her second 12U season on an A-level club here in the mid-Atlantic. I am pretty sure at least the core of the team will form a 14U club this summer. I am curious about the different things she and I can expect as we move to 14U, primarily from the pitcher's perspective. Obviously, the first thing is that the pitching rubber moves back to 43'. For additional context, my DD has, I would say, average velocity for her age (50/51), but better than average command and change up. She is currently the #2 pitcher on the team and is more of a "pitch to contact" pitcher that generates a lot of outs on poorly hit balls. Probably averages about 3 or 4 Ks per game presently. Appreciate any insights or perspective you may have. Thanks ahead of time.

14u tends to be a cut off year for players. Those more serious stay those less leave or get weeded out.
Ball moves a lot more. Greater distance and better spin.
Players are bigger and stronger. Hits that drop in don’t drop in as much due to greater speed.
It’s definitely different. The 10i and 12u chanting goes away also. Thank god. Haha.
You’ll enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I am curious about the different things she and I can expect as we move to 14U, primarily from the pitcher's perspective. Obviously, the first thing is that the pitching rubber moves back to 43'. Appreciate any insights or perspective you may have. Thanks ahead of time.

Control pitchers adjust really quickly and in fact enjoy the more movement the extra distance allows. When mine was playing 12U and 14U depending on the weekend she was going between 43' and 40' on different days and she always said that as long as she got to warm up it didn't matter to her. It will probably take some time to get strikeouts back up.

14U is when maturity starts to even out - so bigger/stronger/faster - your infielders need to be very good - the game starts to get faster and faster. There will be players that have already played HS ball on 14U-A teams and they can be a different breed of player just for being around and playing with the older girls. One of my DD's freshman teammates didn't get a lot of HS playing time (our HS is good) but she got to face upperclass pitching and fielding all season in practice and she is eating up 14U now she has rejoined her team. Totally different player from when she started HS.

Nov 8, 2018
Yes you will see those second year 14u girls that played high school just eat up them all at the plate. It’s impressive.

Jan 28, 2017
Looking forward to only pitching at 43. Base running seems to be a lot better and getting down bunts. The good ones will make you pay if you make two good pitches and then flip over the plate.

Apr 28, 2019
Hi- My daughters are the same age. We have played-up to 14U. Biggest difference is the extra 3ft distance. At 14U a good pitcher should have a good fastball and a decent change-up.
As an example my daughter who played up to an A level 14U at 12 last year has 7 pitches she knows how to throw. She doesn’t have full command and confidence to throw any pitch in any count yet but we are focusing on change-up at the moment. My daughter throws mid 50’s to upper 50’s and mid upper 30’s for off speed stuff.
My daughter is more of a power pitcher than finesse.
Your daughter should be pitching every other day and if you aren’t already you should be working with a pitching coach once a week.
Basically at 14U your better pitchers will be throwing mid to upper 50’s with three good pitches. I recommend fastball, curve, change-up. If she has a rise & drop also even better.

Nov 8, 2018
Batters will hit home runs over the fence on good pitches, not just mistakes. Have to adopt a "So what, next pitch" mentality.

That is for dam sure. Mental toughness is vital at this level. My dd has her share of big hits this middle school season. Learned quick to keep the ball off the plate and have a short memory.

Jun 11, 2013
To me the biggest difference is that more players can really hit. When you play A teams the entire lineup can hit it a long way. The think to remember though is that you are going to be playing many of the same players from the year before so don't worry about it. Just have her go out an hit her spots and she'll be fine.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Basically at 14U your better pitchers will be throwing mid to upper 50’s with three good pitches. I recommend fastball, curve, change-up. If she has a rise & drop also even better.

We finished top 10 14 ASA Nationals with 2 pitchers who topped out around 52mph in games but both hit locations, had 2 really good pitches they concentrated on and didn't walk many unless they wanted to. For their age, they were masters of what they did.

I also agree there is more girls who can REALLY hit and when they barrel something up, you have to move on.... However that also means they swing at a lot more pitches which can also be used against them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee