Any 10u flame throwers at PGF Nationals this year?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 1, 2018
My 1st baseman can throw mid to upper 50's...but it could be in the batter's hip or the parking lot or a strike....I never know. Hence the reason she is my 1st baseman.

Jun 29, 2013
I heard about one team who had 3 kids who could throw 50 in 10U (this was a younger 10U team, also). I saw one at her lesson and, while she was fast, there is no chance in hell that her top speed was 50. Plus, like julray's first baseman, there was no guarantee her ball wouldn't travel 8-10 feet out of the zone. The other two friends saw, and all were pretty sure they weren't close to 50. Lots of legends about speed out there.

Feb 15, 2017
UTRIP A nationals Fort Walton - I personally put my pocket radar on every kid over 3 days that caught my eye for having the goods. 5 were over 50 and alot were upper 40s. One team had one at 54 and one at 56. I shot about 10 pitches on each and went with the majority range. They are out there. However most of these kids got hit more than I thought. The most dominant pitchers were upper 40s with an outstanding change up and could put it where they wanted it

FWIW - The unicorn does exist, I was impressed with the blazing speed, but not so much with the results against the better hitting teams. On the 12uA side - I saw a handful in the mid 50s range and same story - straight fastballs were no problem being put in play. Just my 2c.

Feb 15, 2017
To put it in perspective a 10u throwing 55 mph is the same equivalent speed of a woman throwing 68 mph at 43 ft. Now a 11" ball is roughly 6 oz and a 12" is roughly 7oz . Now most woman have been throwing 10+ years and are fully developed. Most have done some kind of weight training either legs or core. So a 10u throwing 55+ is simply amazing. https://www.softballutah.com/articles/softball-101/5775-pitch-speed-comparison

Absolutely correct. IMO it takes a combination of 3 things: genetics, work ethic, and the right pitching instructor. Mine has hit 51/52 in a few games, admittedly I don’t radar very often but she hits that regularly in practice. She usually cruises around 48. She lacks a tad in the genetics from the physical aspect but has the work ethic part and the instructor.

It’s pretty rare to see the intersection of all three of those traits. Most frequently I see the genetics being the overriding reason they throw that hard but you get the kids that can’t throw it in the ocean because they lack one of the other two traits.

From what I have seen over the last 4 years of 10u I would say that 50+ won’t be that rare going forward. Just a guess but the number at that level is astonishingly higher than it was just 3 years ago from where I sit.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478