Another year. Evie is 11.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Yeah. Pretty much. Ask @pattar how he got Marcela to shift properly.
Chinese water torture…😉

I am not as Bullish as WW with regards to Marcela’s move out but it is better. We have done various drills (step-through off tee, stride out to a good position before swinging on tee and toss, step back off tee) but I am not sure any of that helped more than just really focusing on trajectory with both her tee and toss work and most importantly her getting older/stronger. At the end of the day the external result (quality of contact and trajectory) is going to tell you whether or not she is shifting properly. When Marcela gets stuck her results on outside pitches are primarily high slices to the opposite field and every once in a while ground balls to the left side.

I think Marcela learns better with external goals..YMMV 🤷🏽‍♂️.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
She’s got a good swing! It’s super short!

I would be Interested in knowing two things
1.) How is she facing girls with good velocity
2.) When she struggles, swings and misses, what are her tendencies?

Dec 12, 2020
She’s got a good swing! It’s super short!

I would be Interested in knowing two things
1.) How is she facing girls with good velocity
2.) When she struggles, swings and misses, what are her tendencies?

Thanks CB! She's worked hard to be as quick as possible..and the better stretch she gets the quicker/tighter the turn.

Contact is not much of an issue with the velocity she has seen, but when she has trouble she gets armsy early, either maybe because of timing/rushed or maybe she has some feel of getting quicker with muscle, which obv slows her down...early slot, drop barrel and drag.

*Edit: oh, and also she thinks the high pitch is her pitch and that she's not good at belt high . You can guess how that often turns out

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
dfp-2023-0316-0.00.jpg

She's doing the old 'hike and reach' during the stride.

Don't hike the front hip (yellow) when you stride. Pick up the front knee only.

When you hike, you almost always reach with the front leg (see yellow) and land on a straight front leg - which is bad. You must land on a very bent front leg. (same for golf and more)

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020
I'm not saying she isn't 'hiking and reaching' but she does have a focus of getting forward via getting around her rear leg, showing the pitcher her back back pocket and rear leg hamstrings. Certainly not excellent at committing and completing the stretch.
adae57b053b39aad798a07ca74e8bbc3.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
That’s the HLP forward move. It’s death. all the kids I’ve seen doing this changed it and had better results thereafter. Counter rotation moves you forward in reality. Just like walking. The better you counter the better the contraction imo.

Reactions: TDS

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478