Another Strategy Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2017
12u B level Sunday bracket game. Time has officially expired, finish the inning.

Visitors batting, trailing 5-4
1 out
Runner on 1st, average speed
Catcher has average arm but its 12B. I’d estimate 25-30% chance of throwing out an average speed runner stealing 2nd with 5% chance ball ends up in CF and runner advances to third.

First game of the day, pitcher is fresh and at 50 pitches.
It’s clear runner at 1B plans to steal second. One coach wants to let runner steal the base on next pitch without a throw. Other coach wants to throw down.

Knowing just the above and needing to make a decision in 30 seconds—-How would you play it?

Oct 26, 2019
Yep, make the throw, in a pool game, that's when you do it.
Why would it matter if it’s a pool game or the 7th game of the World Series. When runners steal you try to throw them out with very few exceptions. If your catcher can’t throw it to 2nd and the MIF’s can’t catch it and the CF can’t back it up then that team doesn’t deserve to win. It’s literally catching and throwing. The foundation of the game. Until you can do that then you shouldn’t even be allowed to strategize on winning!

Those who are saying not to throw it to second…do we just let her steal 3rd then???

Aug 25, 2019
Why would it matter if it’s a pool game or the 7th game of the World Series. When runners steal you try to throw them out with very few exceptions. If your catcher can’t throw it to 2nd and the MIF’s can’t catch it and the CF can’t back it up then that team doesn’t deserve to win. It’s literally catching and throwing. The foundation of the game. Until you can do that then you shouldn’t even be allowed to strategize on winning!

Those who are saying not to throw it to second…do we just let her steal 3rd then???
It matters because if the catcher doesn't have a good chance of throwing the runner out and a chance the ball ends up in CF with the runner on 3rd, throw it in a pool game, don't throw it in a close championship game.

Oct 26, 2019
It matters because if the catcher doesn't have a good chance of throwing the runner out and a chance the ball ends up in CF with the runner on 3rd, throw it in a pool game, don't throw it in a close championship game.
This theoretical team probably won’t have to worry about making the championship game because their catcher is not very good.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
This theoretical team probably won’t have to worry about making the championship game because their catcher is not very good.
May i please finish that sentence...

... their catcher is not very good,
because she has not been given the opportunity to grow by being challenged with goals to THROW RUNNERS OUT!

For catchers a critical point to be made~
That while we can work on explosive agility and throwing at practice,
The majority of our real training comes in a game-time situation with a pitcher, batter and runners on base.
in my opinion,
it is critical to challenge catcher's to develop our throwing skill sets.= pop times!

Throwing/pop time is far more then just throwing a ball!
It is learning reacting to the situation with a batter standing in front of us, a live pitcher and pitch going anywhere. While applying
the awareness with reaction to seeing a runner, and/or listening react to the yell of going.
With the instance of pressure throwing to 2nd when no-one is there yet...

*** It is critical to throw the ball if you want to grow as a catcher!
And GROW not only your CATCHER,
But GROW your TEAM!

LETS THROW RUNNERS OUT!

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019
May i please finish that sentence...

...because their catcher is not very good,
because she has not been given the opportunity to grow by being challenged on goals to have to
THROW RUNNERS OUT!

For catchers a critical point to be made~
That while we can work on explosive agility and throwing at practice,
The majority of our real training comes in a game-time situation with a pitcher, batter and runners on base.
in my opinion,
it is critical to challenge catcher's to develop the skill sets that are far more then just throwing a ball !
It is learning reacting to the situation with a batter standing in front of us.
The responsive awareness and reaction to seeing a runner, and listening react to the yepl of going.
The instant of pressure to throwing to 2nd when no-one is there yet...

*** is critical to throw the ball if you want to grow as a catcher.
And grow not only your catcher,
But grow your team!
Amen. I was waiting for you to jump in. I thought we would be in agreement on this one. If we aren’t going to throw it at 12U and below then we won’t have built the skills to do it later. Gotta start somewhere. We can’t let fear of failure to be the reason we don’t attempt the right situational play.

May 21, 2015
South
My DD played 12u ten years ago. Most catchers at that time had at least a chance of throwing out a runner stealing second. Has the quality of play been diluted by too many teams where there are not enough decent catchers to make this play? To me this is a no brainer. Throw her out!

Jun 8, 2016
My DD played 12u ten years ago. Most catchers at that time had at least a chance of throwing out a runner stealing second. Has the quality of play been diluted by too many teams where there are not enough decent catchers to make this play? To me this is a no brainer. Throw her out!
Many 12U coaches are stuck in 10u..you see that with the chances they take on sending runners to third thinking that if they are on third then 2 pitches later they will score on a wild pitch/passed ball..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802