Another recruiting scandal

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
"Parents paid Mr. Singer about $25 million from 2011 until February 2019 to bribe coaches and university administrators to designate their children as recruited athletes, which effectively ensured their admission, according to the indictment.

"In one example detailed in an indictment, the parents of a student applying to Yale paid Mr. Singer $1.2 million to help her get admitted. The student, who did not play soccer, was described as the co-captain of a prominent club soccer team in Southern California in order to be recruited for the Yale women’s soccer team. The coach of the Yale soccer team was bribed at least $400,000 to recruit the student."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/12/us/college-admissions-cheating-scandal.html

Feb 26, 2018
All that money just to get in, not to mention how much they paid for tutors and all that since their kids didn't have the grades/test scores to get in in the first place... SMH

Jul 4, 2013
I sometimes wonder if I'm doing the right things as I help my own kid start to navigate college admissions. I feel like this lowers the bar for success quite a bit. Now I can always say: "Well at least I wasn't indicted."

Second thought, it's not over yet. Perhaps I should just remain silent.

Oct 4, 2018
All that money just to get in, not to mention how much they paid for tutors and all that since their kids didn't have the grades/test scores to get in in the first place... SMH

Yeah. Wow.

Just give your kid $1 million and let them go to state college. And you get to stay out of jail as a bonus!

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Not sure this has anything to do with recruiting, just individual corruption. These parents used their financial horsepower to get their kids into a certain school. While they took up a spot at whatever school they went to, there's no indication they ever showed up on a college athletic team.

Jul 14, 2010
They took athletic money out of the pockets of legitimate athletes. They disgraced the accommodations in place for college test taking for students who actually need it. And... not to mention the harm to their own kids. Heard national news say parents were embarrassed that their kids weren’t smart enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 11, 2010
Much of the media is focused on the scumbag parents. In my opinion the facilitators and any coaches that took kickbacks are by far the bigger villains.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28