Another interesting look at Scholarships

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 16, 2013
Good article. I would LOVE to see a more detailed analysis that takes into effect higher level travel athletes. HOWEVER, take into consideration what those parents spent on that travel vs tuition/room & board. I think we've found a great local org. We'll do local tournaments and a few, very select, showcases. The org has a great history of placing athletes at good schools within the state and neighboring states. Spending money on big showcases far away is basically spending her tuition. I'm trying to be as frugal with our money as possible vs still helping her get a good athletic and academic scholarship.

Our #1 pitcher left this season to go play for a team that does big showcases and travels EVERY weekend. She's 13. I SMH thinking about the parents spending all that money with near zero return. Our team and org was just fine.

Apr 20, 2015
As a parent I'm just not in it for the scholarship. She has a college fund. I have the money to spend. I'm letting her practice her craft at the highest level around that's reasonable

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
As a parent I'm just not in it for the scholarship. She has a college fund. I have the money to spend. I'm letting her practice her craft at the highest level around that's reasonable

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Amen. Sitting in the same boat....... she wants to play. She’s going to college - softball or not. She made that decision a while ago and we fully support it.
I do understand those that chase a scholarship but spend your softball money on a tutor.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I believe that all TB players that want to can play college softball....somewhere. It may not be their dream school. The conundrum is do I go to the school that everyone in my family went to and have no chance of playing softball? Or go to a school that wasn't on my radar or even heard of with the opportunity to play softball? or something in between?

I have seen many players that quit softball even though they are good enough to play at the next level in order to go to "Big Time University" to be a NARP (Non Athletic Regular Person).

Oct 5, 2015
I believe that all TB players that want to can play college softball....somewhere. It may not be their dream school. The conundrum is do I go to the school that everyone in my family went to and have no chance of playing softball? Or go to a school that wasn't on my radar or even heard of with the opportunity to play softball? or something in between?

I have seen many players that quit softball even though they are good enough to play at the next level in order to go to "Big Time University" to be a NARP (Non Athletic Regular Person).

Look at you referencing NARP. I thought only the girls could say that :)

Totally agree that if TB player wants to play, they will be able to. I think you get what you give. My oldest didn't want to put forth the energy to call coaches, write letters and is selected a school with her desired major, a top football program, is in a sorority and plays club. The club level is ideal for her and she seems quite happy.

My youngest made all the calls to coaches in the early mornings, after practices, between games, wrote the emails and text and ended up at one of her targeted schools but it was very hard work and she would quite likely have not got in to that school without softball but I don't think she would have wanted to play softball at a school that showed interest in her unless she really liked the school and it had her desired major.

There are many paths for sure.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
We are lucky that our costs are kept pretty low for travel. We have paid no team fees in about 8 years and will not have any thins year. Our only costs have been travel expenses and last summer was tough. We probably spent close to $7500 which was our most expensive year by far. Going to the Sparkler was expensive but it was an amazing trip for the family. I look at the experiences we have had as a family as totally worth it.

DD knows she will play in college unless and injury prevents it. The one thing I have preached since the beginning is focus on getting academic money and not softball money. My deal with her is the money for college can go towards a car and a start in life if I do not have to spend it on school. So far she is doing her part keeping great grades and working her tail off in AP classes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802