Another Glove size question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I was going to add this to the previous thread, but I didn't want to hijack the thread.
DD loves to play 1B so after much deliberation last year, I bought DD the Wilson A2000 FP 1B mitt for XmasWilson Fastpitch : A2000 I "oiled" the glove ("Glove Stuff from Sandal lady.com) and worked on breaking the glove in for a couple months before I gave it to her.

She just turned 14, is 5'-0.1/2" tall (is pretty much done growing) and has been using a 12.25" SSK glove. I thought this glove would be a good step up with a bigger pocket.

She says it's too big.

Says her hand doesn't fit into it, it feels bigger and heavier on her hand and falls off easily.

That said she went thru a period this winter where she had trouble keeping her regular glove on, too. She sometimes wears a batting glove on her glove hand, but that doesn't seem to make a difference with either glove staying put.

I think she's past that "problem" with her regular glove now but I would like her to try the new one again.

My questions are:

1) Do you think the new 1B mitt is the correct size for her (not that I have any choice with regard to 1B mitts)?

2) In the event that she has small hands for a girl of her size, might she be better off with a glove from a different manufacturer?

3) If she thinks it's too big for her hand, do you have any recommendations for helping it fit better?

4) should I just forget about it and sell it on Ebay? (Just kidding!)

Thanks!

Dec 3, 2008
Nice glove!

I'm sure it feels bigger and heavier; it's a 1B specific glove. It is bigger and heavier.

So, to answer your questions:

1. Yes, I think it's a good-sized glove and a good quality glove.

2. Not sure about other manufacturers. Might go try some on. I have big hands and my Easton 1B glove is pretty big; but it's also a baseball glove. (See my comment in the other glove section about the quality of baseball v. softball gloves).

3. If the glove is slipping off her hand a lot, she can stick her pointer finger out, as this will give her a slightly different type of grip. I am NOT a fan of wearing batting gloves with the fielder's glove. I think you lose some important feeling. But, I know a lot of people do.

Lastly, I'd say that as she continues working with the glove and breaks it in for herself, it will begin to mold around her hand. It's nice of you to help her break it in with oil and such, but if your hand has been in there a lot then it's conforming to your hand and not hers. The more she works with it, the more the leather will adjust to the way she likes the glove to fit and then, I'd imagine, it won't feel so big.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Here's a stupid question, but have you adjusted the leather loops for her thumb and little finger? I am working with a girl that insists that her fingers need to go up into the fingers of the glove. They don't. They need to fit into the loops.

I, personally do like to wear a glove inside a mitt, because the batting glove absorbs the sweat and can be laundered.

Good luck. I think the glove should fit her after she gets it broken in.

Oh, I just re-read you post. My DD and I both used SSK. They are darling gloves. They are also hard to replace. My DD wouldn't give hers up for anything. I had to steal it from her to get it re-laced.

I use the SSK mitt to catch my pitching students. I have an extra one, if you get desperate. You can't buy them anymore.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Here's a stupid question, but have you adjusted the leather loops for her thumb and little finger?

Here's a stupid answer - "duh, NOPE!" At least I don't remember doing it so I probably skipped right past that part! DD is away this week but we will check the loops when she gets back this weekend.

Thanks Amy!
(I think we originally got the SSK glove on your recommendation and she loves it! Went to an NPF game last summer and after the game she had players sign her glove- several made a point to comment on the nice glove.)

Jul 20, 2008
Like Amy said, you need to adjust the loops. It also helps to "tune" the glove. What I mean by this is tighten the top laces to create a "u" shape to the fingers (lookin at glove from the side, palm down).

I was suprised at the condition of the gloves on our team. Missing laces, poor adjustment, and general lack of care. Now we have a glove inspection at the beginning of the year.

With the new leathers in gloves now, a brand new glove can be ready to play in a couple of days. I was given a new Nokona glove for Christmas. It won't be game ready for a few months. Kids need to form a relationship with their gloves so they become an extension of their hands.

Jan 30, 2009
My Daughter is now starting her Sophomore year and season (5' 3", 110lbs). She has slender fingers so I went with Akadema because of the design for woman's hands. May or may not be the best product, but she likes the fit.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I have adjusted the loops and the fit is much better. She used it to play catch and it was fine. Now it's just a matter of getting used to a different, slightly heavier, glove.

Thank you all for the advice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802