Another Glove Recommendation Request (12 year old) [update: narrowed the field]

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 12, 2020
Hello,

I'm new to the forum but have been lurking for a while. I have two daughters, 12 and 8. The 12 year old, who actually got started later, is taking the sport pretty seriously and is showing some definite ability. Her current glove is a 12.5" Rawlings Highlight Youth glove. It has served her well but it's pretty cheap and its best days seem behind it. I'm looking to replace it with a serious mitt, but am unsure how sizing transfers from youth to women's. As for size, she's about 5' and 80+ pounds. She plays all over the field right now so I'd need a versatile glove. I've seen the Vinci 1929L recommended quite a bit as well as the 1961. Any thoughts on what I should be looking at? Whatever I choose, I want it to last a while rather than buying again in a year, though I'm not sure if she's at an in between time as far as gloves are concerned. I'd like to stay around or under $200. All we have in the general area is a Dick's so my "try 'em out" options are limited.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2019
For your 12 year old, I would just go with something easy to break in, like a 12" Mizuno Prospect - it will work in the OF and IF. They are not expensive and hopefully last a couple to a few years and then you will be better able to get a glove that more perfectly fits her needs.

Jun 19, 2016
The mizuno prospect can get floppy really quick. I get my DD Akadema AJB74. It is still a one glove per season glove but it doesn't have the cut out the mizuno does.

I handed my 11 year old DD (5'3" and 145#) a closed web A2000 at Scheels the other day. It was Fastpitch and yet had no velcro. She handed it back to me in about 10 seconds and said she couldn't even close it. I have been wanting to get her a A1000 but no one close by seems to have one on stock to try. It seems like eventually she will end up on a team that forces the Wilson glove. Most of the big clubs around here have "deals signed with Wilson" but they don't enforce on the younger kids. The bat is going to be another source of pain as she prefers Easton bats.

To be honest I probably need to get her an A2000 and just make her use it in practice until it breaks in. She is honestly bigger than a lot of highschool age girls that use these gloves all the time.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
Call the Rawlings outlet in Myrtle Beach and ask if they have any Pro206-6jtb left. You should be able to get it shipped to you and stay in the ballpark of your budget. Several kids in this forum use one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
Actually less-

Good deal at the Myrtle Beach outlet

Jun 8, 2016
Call the Rawlings outlet in Myrtle Beach and ask if they have any Pro206-6jtb left. You should be able to get it shipped to you and stay in the ballpark of your budget. Several kids in this forum use one.

Are you the substitute teacher for @ANNASDAD today?

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
You know, if it were me I'd probably call the Rawlings outlet in Myrtle Beach, SC and see if they have any of the Pro206-6JTB's leftover. I've heard that they've went over really well with some of the kids here!

Oct 12, 2020
For your 12 year old, I would just go with something easy to break in, like a 12" Mizuno Prospect - it will work in the OF and IF. They are not expensive and hopefully last a couple to a few years and then you will be better able to get a glove that more perfectly fits her needs.

You know, if it were me I'd probably call the Rawlings outlet in Myrtle Beach, SC and see if they have any of the Pro206-6JTB's leftover. I've heard that they've went over really well with some of the kids here!
I definitely get what SoftballDad is saying and I was wondering if she's needs a "placeholder" glove, but I believe investing in good tools is wise if the time is right. Can this HOH glove see outfield time in a pinch? Is it similar in size to the 1929, which I've heard runs small? Does it have good depth? My gripe with the Rawlings Highlight is that, apart from being floppy, it seems too shallow for 12" balls...though DD could probably put the squeeze to it better on occasion. I guess what I'm getting at is, does the glove have enough of a pocket to give a nice sense of security, or is it closer to a scrappy MI mitt?

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I definitely get what SoftballDad is saying and I was wondering if she's needs a "placeholder" glove, but I believe investing in good tools is wise if the time is right. Can this HOH glove see outfield time in a pinch? Is it similar in size to the 1929, which I've heard runs small? Does it have good depth? My gripe with the Rawlings Highlight is that, apart from being floppy, it seems too shallow for 12" balls...though DD could probably put the squeeze to it better on occasion. I guess what I'm getting at is, does the glove have enough of a pocket to give a nice sense of security, or is it closer to a scrappy MI mitt?
I'd never buy it for outfield duties, in a pinch it would work, but it's a infield baseball glove, with more emphasis on 3B being it's a 12" glove. And it's deep for what it is, but it's smaller all the way around than a BV1929.

If she was still using an 11" ball, then maybe I'd buy it for outfield but.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812