Another glove question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 16, 2019
I have searched many threads, but cannot get exactly what I am looking for in an answer. I have 3 daughters playing softball but only one plays summer travel ball. She is 8 and is 4' 6" (I think) and about 75 lbs and growing. She played 3rd base in league ball and centerfield in the summer for her travel team. My thinking is she is a pretty good player and a glove is not going to make or break her at this level, but she needs one that fits her hand...if it is comfortable and she can get to the ball she will most likely be able to make a play. With that said, anyone have a recommendation on the best fitting gloves for a young player? I don't' know what position she will end up playing in the future, so I don't want to go all out on something like a Rawlings Heart of the Hide or Wilson A2000...but something that is comfortable for right now and the next couple of years. My 5 year old is using hand-me-downs and my 11 year old will be happy with anything, and her hand is likely going to fit most gloves as she is already 5' 3" and growing. Any advice is appreciated. I have always preferred Rawlings, but willing to look at another brand.

Apr 15, 2018
I’ve tried a few different ones for my daughters. (7&9 yo). The best fit and quality for the money I have found is the Bradley.

Quality glove at a reasonable price and it fits her hand. He only makes gloves for youth. He’s nice guy to work with to boot.

He has some fastpitch models with wrist strap. But he makes many of the same models without.

512dc27ec741a2092adc797bebed0109.jpg

a411fefa87e9e9e8104331e451f4483c.jpg

8de4e77bc08feffaedd2619d0300d84a.jpg

9f8bc4136c4d3c500c8b57d0a6da6007.jpg

The black one was my 9yo first one, 11.75 hweb. Has been through a ton of practices and games over last 2 years and is still in great shape. The blonde next play is 11.75. My youngest just started using it this past season. (11” ball in pocket)

The bone hweb is 11.75 bandito pro. USA steerhide which we are working in for next season. It’s absolutely a top quality glove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 4, 2014
So Cal
For your 5'3 kid the rawlings R9 is a solid glove... my oldest has had hers for 4 years (equivalent pricepoint rawlings) and it has held well to year round use and will be the glove she uses all through high school.... for your 8 yr old you dont want her to spend a few months breaking the glove in and she is likely not strong enough yet to battle the leather.. it also sucks to break the glove in only to outgrow it as she moves to the bigger ball (if her hand wasnt the one outgroing it) - The Mizuno and Easton models in the $50 price range have "synthetic leather pre-broken in feel" gloves that will do the job just fine and will last you a year or so of continuous use but at that point she will have outgrown it anyway... I would stay away from the real leather stiff old school gloves (all of the > $100 models) for the 8yr old and younger.. not worth the price and too heavy for them anyway.. the longevity and better glove shapping benefits do NOT outweight the cost and weight

Aug 17, 2019
My daughter used the Mizuno MVP (around $50) starting in 10u. In 12u she upgraded to the Mizuno Prime (around $100). In 14u she played with a really good team and went to the Rawlings Heart of the Hide and loves that. Agree with @Mocoso that Mizuno breaks in very fast and is good for the younger players. Took her over half a year to break in the Rawlings.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
And for yet another option, I’m going to say the Vinci Fortis. Great glove, easy to break in and lasts under heavy use “for the age“. Under $100 from drakemir. The one we have lasted a solid year of heavy use (travel and league ball for spring and all fo fall A level ball at 10u-12u. We then went to another Vinci Custom and a teammate used it for Travel and Freshman HS. Honestly its still pretty good considering it was around $90.

Her older sister has one as well but he only plays HS ball in the spring.

Last edited:
May 28, 2014
The most important aspect of a glove at that age is the ability to close it ; Any of the entry level gloves from any vendor for the most part will be fine, If you want to have one that will last a few years a Vinci Fortus would work for your needs - but it will be just a hair longer to break in than a 50$ glove, getting one under the tree though levels ample time to have it ready for spring. Other options are the Mizunos, and even a shoeless jane fits the bill for that level. I can cut a decent deal on Vinci's, ping me if you want a price ;

Dave

Oct 16, 2019
Just a follow up :) A Mizuno Top Prospect was under the Christmas tree for my 8 year old. It is going to work very well I can tell. I may end up buying two more for my other DD's

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802