Another ghost postšŸ˜€

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 28, 2019
Daughter is an 07 15u. She's broken a lot of bats and the only one that has lasted is the 2021 Xeno. She used that through all winter and cold weather games through the spring and it probably has over 7k swings on it. Still looks brand new, it's still going, but doesn't have the pop it used to.

She swings hard, high of 77mph exit velo off a tee and a 76mph off front toss.

She broke the Blue and Grey Ghost about 11 months in. It got the weakness at the connection and separated. It was replaced with the original double barrel by easton.. that bat has shark tooth cracks all over it and a big carbon crack and is still unbelievably hot.. It was retired after about 10 months of heavy use when an ump said it couldn't be used in a game.

Bought the first advanced and broke 5 of those and all were replaced by the dicks warranty within a year. Most got bad cracks in the barrel and one was a bad one that came apart at the joint after about 3 weeks. only one of them made it past the 90 days and it was warrantied by easton.

The current Advanced is now the backup bat, bought one when it first came out and it lasted about 2 months before heavy cracks and looseness at the joint.

She has been currently swinging a 33" drop 9 unlimited since august.

By my count, she has broken one LXT, 7 or 8 ghosts through the years, one Mantra that had the inner core separate, and 3 mizunos that all broke on the barrel.
Sounds like a heavy hitter! What drop weights were the ghosts she was breaking? How is she liking the unlimited?

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I definitely agree about hitting the ball at either ends of the bat. I also think there can be something said for girls not swinging a proper bat size, i.e. too small and the amount of bat speed sheā€™s generating.
Thats actually a big thing. Girls swinging too light of a bat is not good for the bat

May 16, 2016
Illinois
My daughter has broke 6-7 Ghosts also. Most of them have broke within a month, two have broke the same week they were purchased. She currently has two Ghost Advanced bats in her bat bag, both have lasted over 3 months which is the longest any of her Ghost bats have lasted. We do use her game bats for batting practice, we usually hit two times per week. About 150 balls each time, so roughly 300 balls per week, all front toss.

I will add this. The two Ghost bats that only lasted a week were the hottest bats out of the wrapper that I have ever seen in a fastpitch bat. It was really weird, but I swear she could hit a ball an additional 25 feet with those two bats before the barrels broke.

Every Ghost she has broken has cracked on the barrel. Same with the Demarini CF bats, those have cracked on the barrel also but she gets 10 months out of a Demarini CF.

Aug 23, 2016
We bought DD a Ghost Advanced 33/23 in 2020 and it died about a year later - the connection point was shot. Several of her teammates used her bat during games, and she used it for her batting lessons.

We didn't try to get it replaced because her hitting instructor wanted her to move up to a 34/24. So almost a year ago we bought the Double Barrel. DD doesn't let her teammates use it under any circumstances and she never uses it except for in games. Her backup bat is a 2016 Xeno Plus and it gets used for every hitting lesson, every practice, even pre-game warmups.

The connection point is still as strong as it was when she started using the bat, and while I think the fact that the bat only sees action during games has helped it last longer, I think the biggest difference is that she's been working with her instructor to make better contact with the sweet spot of the bat. She's not fouling inside pitches off the handle, which I think puts less stress on the connection point.

We're planning on keeping this bat until it's time to move to a -9, at which point we're planning to stick with the Ghost.

Sep 8, 2021
Sheā€™s swung a drop ten from 11u until this year and moved to a drop 9. Sheā€™s not a big kid overall, just strong and swings hard. Her teammate swings hard like her and has broken a drop 9 and a drop 8 meta. I really donā€™t think that it matters much for the brand, if a kid swings hard.. hits a lot, sheā€™s going to break some bats. Xenos are the exception to that though.

And she absolutely loves the drop 9 unlimited. Craziest thing is that the drop 9 and the drop 10 unlimiteds were only about .3 oz off each other in weight when we weighed them. The drop 9 is more end weighted. Took the kid about a week to get used to it.
Sounds like a heavy hitter! What drop weights were the ghosts she was breaking? How is she liking the unlimited?

Sep 28, 2020
NJ
My oldest DD used a 33/23 for a year at 14u before it developed some cracks. Despite it being a few weeks over a year I spoke with Easton and they replaced it. She probably could have gotten a few more months out of it. The replacement bat served her last year at 16u and HS ball. She jumped up to a 34/25 Unlimited for this year but her old bat is still going strong and being used by her sister at 14u. Between the two of them weā€™ve had a few double barrels that have all last for 2+ years before needing to be replaced. We donā€™t hit cage or heavy balls with them anymore but really donā€™t worry about cold temps. I did get them in the habit of rotating them every swing. Iā€™ve certainly see a few ghosts break over the years at tournaments but not at a higher rates than other ā€œhotā€ bats like the meta. I can only recall one or two other ghosts break on teams Iā€™ve coached.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802