Another "fun" tournament-Wildness ensued!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 30, 2020
14U last fall playing against a team that hadn’t lost a game in the semi-finals. Parents and coach are wildly over-reacting to every call made by the umpires and making nasty comments at the Ump. Additionally, it had been a long day already so one of our girls starts yelling the plays and number of outs at the top of her lungs to pump up her teammates.

When our screaming Mimi gets up to plate, one of the dads sitting on the other side of the fence starts yelling “Hey batter batter” at the top of his lungs right behind her. The Ump shuts him down and gets into an argument with the parents, who run to the tournament organizer because the Ump told them to zip it but not our screaming Mimi.

We win and the other team is super pissed. The mom who ran to get the tournament organizer confronts the Ump in the walkway with her teenage son and try to provoke a fight.

Another favorite was when the opposing coach contested a play at home by sliding at home himself to show the Ump how he was wrong. The coach did not get that call overturned.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Sorry story was opposing parent was yelling at our HC, they were really yelling at DD who was 10 years old. Tough guy yelling at 10 year old, all I could do not going over to talk to him.

Regret we just did not leave game, it was a train wreck before the game even started, I take minimal responsibility for that part. They started it.:)

(Differnt game but a play went bad for us, it was awful. Our parents are yelling at umpire and the fool, nice kid, is engaging them. I went to the stands and yelled at the parents to shut the blank up, then turned on umpire and told him to go back and do your job do not get in arguments with my parents. Give them credit the parents did shut up, I do not think they ever heard me swear before, I was furious at all of them and they knew it.)

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019
Fun for not only the fact that DD's 18U team won their 3rd tourney out of 4 :))(y)), But when DD's team beat the first team of the day in the quarterfinals, one of their fathers starting yelling and really cursing out the umpires about how much they sucked all weekend. When his team's coach told him to calm down, he told her to shut the F up and that she sucked too and can't coach for nothing and that the team sucked and that he (he!) was tired of losing. So the coach had enough and started laying into him. Then a group of parents joined in and there was also sorts of yelling and cussing between parents and coaches, parents and parents. In 6 years of TB, it was the wildest thing I've seen......What's your wildest?
Doesn't sound like fun to me...

Oct 3, 2019
That usually doesn't happen at 18U... behavior like that is reserved for 10U-14U parents. Those parents still believe their little Susie is going to have a full ride at her choice of DI schools and probably play on the Olympic Team.
Ouch!

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
I saw the police called to a game in our first fall of 10u, because a grandmother tried to fight a coach. She came IN the dugout, put her hands on her GD's throat (for striking out, or an error or something- can't remember now), and the coach (rightly) got in between them.

Feb 3, 2016
I'd get carpal tunnel and be retired before I could type out all the crazy trainwrecks I've witnessed. Fastpitch is awesome except when it isn't.

I don't think people would even believe it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Oct 10, 2018
Not as wild as some of these (OMG) but our girls were playing a team from Long Island NY. Somewhat like a Boston accent they drop their R's. My DH, just fooling around called out to one of our batters to "hit a line driv-ah" the other team's parents started freaking out. Turns out they thought he said "hit a line drive at her". At first he had no idea what they were upset about (who on earth would say something like that) and then after the game as we were all leaving he tried to tell them no, no I said "line drive-ah", they wouldn't hear it and gave him the stink eye all weekend.

May 6, 2015
been pretty lucky, nothing that bad. worst was actually at a rec game, parents sitting on 1B line of other team "talking amongst each other" but loud enough (and meant to be) for our 1B and 2B to hear during warmups talking about these snowflake girls cannot play. same gameone of the opposing players in handshake line (several years ago) was telling our girls she was going to punch or stab them. good times ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802