Another Coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 27, 2012
This is the reason why I really hate it when coaches try to keep parents out of the loop will only talk with the players regarding softball or any sports for that matter. This coach probably gave more playing time to the kids she was abusing and sat the kids who would not do her bidding.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
While the above story is terrible, there are two sides to the story when discussing whether a coach should have discussions with parents. If your dd was to play for me, we would not be having discussions. I was friends with all of the HS parents when my dd played. I coached those young ladies as they grew up starting in rec when they were 7 and 8. Then, the HS coach resigned and I was asked to take over the program. I didn't want to coach my dd in HS. Within hours of being named the HC I had phone calls from parents. The end result was that in a parent meeting I informed all of them that we would not be talking anymore. The reason is simple. If a player earned a starting position or a varsity spot on the roster, it would be because they earned it. I could not continue some friendships because it would not be fair to the player when people would say that they were given starting positions because that player's parents and I were friends. Believe me, I lost more than a few friends over this. I wouldn't change that.

On a side note, I made it clear that any and all things I said could be discussed with their parents. I did not have secrets of any type. If you saw me coach and saw how loud I am, you'd understand this statement. I did communicate with parents when I got colleges interested in their dds but tried to go through the dd as much as possible. As many of you know, I have coached HS for a very long time. One of the first lessons I learned was that a pat on the back was two feet away from a kick in the butt. I have never needed pats on the back. I've rarely avoided kicks in the butt. LOL

Apr 28, 2014
Scumbag..
Notice how when it's a woman the charges are different than if it was a man. Both men and women should be equally charged with the most fierce punishment possible.
But there is a bias. Needs to end

May 29, 2015
@BT3100 — do you know of a similar case in the same state where charges against a male were different? I ask because terminology and naming conventions, as well as the criteria for certain laws, can sound very different from state to state yet still be pretty much the same thing.

Apr 28, 2014
@BT3100 — do you know of a similar case in the same state where charges against a male were different? I ask because terminology and naming conventions, as well as the criteria for certain laws, can sound very different from state to state yet still be pretty much the same thing.
I will dig in tonight.
That said there is a difference in consistency in how men and women are treated in these cases. Just reading the nomenclature of the charges.

Sep 29, 2014
I'm a firm believer in the let the facts come out first before making any judgements. You can't say she is being treated differently than a man if we aren't sure exactly what is alleged. It's sounds like we can make an inference but we just don't know.

This is why I am just a firm believer in the never be alone with a player camp...it should go for either sex. You can have a private conversation in left field if you need to nobody can hear anything but everyone can plainly see what is going on. If you are a teacher and they come to you your office better have a big window with the shades up or just find a different place to meet. Also the only social media conversations should be in a team blast type message never get involved with one on one conversations via text or social media....these thing should all be Coaching 101.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
$250,000 bail is pretty serious. Hopefully she doesn't have the funds to bail out. It is gross if the coach is a man or a women but deemed by society to be lesser offense if the women is the predator. There is a travel ball coaching dual (female lovers). One woman is in her fifties and the other in her twenties. They met when the elder coached the younger in HS. Most people know this but they don't receive too much criticism. They have a TB team. I don't believe if this was a male in his fifties and a male or female in their twenties that met in HS they would be accepted.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

This is true, and there's also the fact that prosecutors like to win, and they only charge with crimes they're pretty sure they can get a conviction on. So you may see some lesser charges than what the cops "know" happened because all they can prove are the lesser charges, and something is better than nothing.

And, of course, we don't really know the specifics of this case based on this story, so it's impossible to even speculate.

Jul 3, 2013
These are inexcusable and disgusting crimes, and coaches and players should probably not have private one on one contact. But, I don't see any evidence presented in the media coverage to suggest that these crimes resulted from an improper coach/athlete relationship. She was a volunteer assistant for one year nearly three years ago. I'm not sure it's relevant to the case at hand.

Edit- I actually read the article in the link. It has quite a few more details than a couple of others I had seen. So, nevermind what I said above.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019
A coach/player relationship of this type is always a bad thing, but I wouldn't get my pitchfork out yet.

Maybe I'm missing something but she is 22. Happened 1-2 years ago at the high school level.

So a 20 year old and a 16/17/18 year old. Not appropriate at all, but I wouldn't be screaming to "lock her up for life".

"Never let her coach again." seems more appropriate.

The wife and I have a similar age gap and were together at his time, but I'm the younger one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee