Another broken thumb

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 14, 2018
DD joined a new team in December (12u) and broke her glove hand thumb warming a pitcher up the first weekend of January. Healed up from that really fast (4 weeks) and with the help from Annasdad got her a new catchers mitt started. Fast forward to this past Sunday, she takes a pitch right off the hands while batting. Long story short her thumb on her throwing hand is not broke. She is really down in the dumps about this one because she will miss most of the season we have left.

How do you guys help your athletes through tough times like this?

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
DD has been out since dec 10 w fully torn ATFL. her first weekend on back was this past weekend and it was only to bat. (And went 0-4) :(
It’s been tough. Just have to help them stay positive and involved as much as possible. Hoping the next few weeks helps her get her confidence back and catch back up to the others. We also brought on some new players and she has lost her spot. I tell her hard work will get you on the field and back into “your spot.” 7th grade first year 14u. Tough ride my friend.

I just ordered a “ Team Defender Pro series protective catchers glove” for myself it has pads in fingers and thumb guard built into the glove I will give a review once it comes in.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
DD joined a new team in December (12u) and broke her glove hand thumb warming a pitcher up the first weekend of January. Healed up from that really fast (4 weeks) and with the help from Annasdad got her a new catchers mitt started. Fast forward to this past Sunday, she takes a pitch right off the hands while batting. Long story short her thumb on her throwing hand is not broke. She is really down in the dumps about this one because she will miss most of the season we have left.

How do you guys help your athletes through tough times like this?

Really sorry to hear this Richard! I know the first one was a bummer, and now her other thumb! :mad: Since it's her throwing hand, you and her can work on receiving drills.......barehanded with tennis balls or baseballs, then move on the softballs with her glove. Have her work on her legs, do squats and lunges, take her to a field and work on base running.

Hopefully this will take some of the negative thoughts away and you and her can just talk......and work. Hope she heals up soon!

Jun 14, 2018
I just ordered a “ Team Defender Pro series protective catchers glove” for myself it has pads in fingers and thumb guard built into the glove I will give a review once it comes in.

The broken thumb in January from catching was solved by getting her the All-star CMW3000 glove. DD says she can barely feel the ball coming in anymore!

Jun 14, 2018
Really sorry to hear this Richard! I know the first one was a bummer, and now her other thumb! :mad: Since it's her throwing hand, you and her can work on receiving drills.......barehanded with tennis balls or baseballs, then move on the softballs with her glove. Have her work on her legs, do squats and lunges, take her to a field and work on base running.

Hopefully this will take some of the negative thoughts away and you and her can just talk......and work. Hope she heals up soon!

We talked about some of that last night. She has orders of nothing to do with sports for the first two weeks, so after that we will start working on things.

Apr 21, 2019
The broken thumb in January from catching was solved by getting her the All-star CMW3000 glove. DD says she can barely feel the ball coming in anymore!

This is the mitt that I bought for my daughter about a year ago. It was a beast to break in, but it's great!

Jun 14, 2018
This is the mitt that I bought for my daughter about a year ago. It was a beast to break in, but it's great!

My arm was still in a sling from should surgery when I bought it. I asked Annasdad if he could start it for her so she had a better glove to come back with. He did an amazing job on it and sent a very sweet letter to DD with it.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019
Uh...yeah...I had to send my DD’s out to The Glove Whisperer after several months of my DD refusing to use it in games because it was so stiff she couldn’t keep the ball in it. It was about 75% better after that and this is the first season she has reverted back to her severely worn Mizuno.
It’s worth the work, though!!

I hope you’re fully recovered and your daughter is as well!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802