Angled vs Breaking? Go To vs secondary?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Really what she's saying is nothing new...used to be discussed here more often by a few members who don't visit much anymore.

Aug 21, 2008
Interesting that she doesn't denigrate bullet spin but seems to consider it a legitimate pitch on it's own, a fastball.
While that's true, she doesn't say anything negative. However, every college coach, TV announcer, advanced pitching coach, and player from that level has said nobody throws fastballs at that level. So, when you combine what she said and the other's comments, it tells you that both bullet spin and fastballs don't help you at that level.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
While that's true, she doesn't say anything negative. However, every college coach, TV announcer, advanced pitching coach, and player from that level has said nobody throws fastballs at that level. So, when you combine what she said and the other's comments, it tells you that both bullet spin and fastballs don't help you at that level.

Interesting thoughts on location, especially her last sentence.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

I've never heard that pre-pitch posture has anything at all to do with what a hitter does during the swing. That one image of like 20 hitters all getting into the same position despite having very different stances/posture before the pitch is evidence of that.

That's different than looking at the actual swings and learning a hitter's strengths and weaknesses, but that's not what she's discussing here. At least, that's not what she's showing in the images.

Aug 21, 2008

I sort of stand corrected by this, Arm. However, she's the FIRST I've heard say this. I also find it contradictory that she's saying that hitter will hit a "flat pitch" yet, what is a "fastball"? Inside or outside it's a flat pitch. However, I have heard 2 Time Olympic Gold Medalist Michele Smith say the exact opposite, when I could stand listening to it. :) And other broadcasters. And pitchers I've coached. Had I been there, I'd have challenged her on this... and the thought in the next paragraph.

Again, this is just my own take aways, I'm sure Ms. Lawson has her own opinions, which is fine. While the posture is something to look for, the stride is more telling to me. Personally, when I see someone standing upright, I suspect they're a better riseball hitter than a drop because they seem to be keeping their hands above the ball. This how to hit a riseball, keep your hands above the ball. But I digress. To me the stride is more telling. Is the hitter taking a big stride? Which direction, bailing outward, stepping in? Are the hands moving, potentially dropping the hands? These are things I cannot see just from someone's stance. A longer stride will make dropballs easier to hit, allowing the body to come down a bit. Shorter stride, combined with the upright stance is a riseball hitting stance. At least that's how I'd pitch to someone.

But there's no automatics. It's all just playing percentages.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28