And you thought you saw some bad umpiring......

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Sorry, I didn't mean to highjack the thread ... I am still decompressing from it. I sat down and finally handwrote the notes of my account this week. I think it was the single worst day of my umpiring career. The heat and humidity were dangerous (not just miserable, DANGEROUS) all day (it was 85 degrees at 10:00 first pitch). We had players going down and throwing up on the turf, umpires going down (one was taken off in an ambulance to rehydrate him at the ER) ...

On top of that, the parents were atrocious all day. Combine the heat, it being a state tournament, and (this may be unfair of me, but I will say it) a massively overinflated sense of self-entitlement from a well-to-do area ... it was a recipe for disaster and we were gourmet chefs.

Yeah ... I will try to post it later tonight. I'm still not ready. Honestly, I have had bad moments, bad games, and bad days, but this is the first time I have felt actual trauma from umpiring.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Sorry, I didn't mean to highjack the thread ... I am still decompressing from it. I sat down and finally handwrote the notes of my account this week. I think it was the single worst day of my umpiring career. The heat and humidity were dangerous (not just miserable, DANGEROUS) all day (it was 85 degrees at 10:00 first pitch). We had players going down and throwing up on the turf, umpires going down (one was taken off in an ambulance to rehydrate him at the ER) ...

On top of that, the parents were atrocious all day. Combine the heat, it being a state tournament, and (this may be unfair of me, but I will say it) a massively overinflated sense of self-entitlement from a well-to-do area ... it was a recipe for disaster and we were gourmet chefs.

Yeah ... I will try to post it later tonight. I'm still not ready. Honestly, I have had bad moments, bad games, and bad days, but this is the first time I have felt actual trauma from umpiring.
Geeeez
Hug to you Sir !

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
It's not just the umpire's confusion, but also the team taking advantage of the situation. If this was a HS playoff game, that coach should be fired. Blatant cheating. How does that a-hole go to sleep that night? How do the parents and players of that team not realize what they're doing?

Jul 22, 2015
I saw this video the day after hit happened. Even weeks later I can't fathom how 3 umpires got together and discussed this play and let it stand. How did all 3 forget it was a foul ball? This is one of the very few instances where, had I been the coach of the team on defense and they let the play stand, they would probably have needed to arrest me in order to let the game continue. I umpire and will no doubt make mistakes, but I pray if I ever make one this bad that I will have a partner who will make sure we fix it.

Jul 22, 2015
How ridiculous is that.
Freaken TERRIBLE

However lets learn from it :)

👉FINISH THE PLAY
👉NO MATTER WHAT
I understand what you're saying, but I actually wonder if the reaction of the defense to try and make a play at the end influenced the umpires. I wonder if they had just thrown the ball back to the pitcher and said "it was a foul ball" if something would have clicked for the umpires. Simply awful situation though. No excuse for getting it that wrong.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Simply from my years of observations i say this
Again & Again

'The umpire is right
Even when they are wrong.'

(because they are 'officiating')

Always Hussle
Always make good throws
Everyone has a responsibility and someone should have been backing up the pitcher.

Cant relax because someone elses brain has or might!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2