... and this weekend

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
A coach told me I couldn't call his runner out for leaving early because "she is really fast and steals lots of bases" (Didn't say it, but in mind I am thinking maybe leaving early is part of that)

Next inning he said "It is a really hard call to make" (Didn't say it, but in mind I am thinking that doesn't mean I shouldn't make the call)

I am not sure how either comment was relevant to the call I made.

Good news : There were also several videoes of the game (because now there are now more cameras at a travel softball game than on an NFL game) that showed her two steps off the base with the ball still in the pitcher's hand.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
A coach told me I couldn't call his runner out for leaving early because "she is really fast and steals lots of bases" (Didn't say it, but in mind I am thinking maybe leaving early is part of that)

Next inning he said "It is a really hard call to make" (Didn't say it, but in mind I am thinking that doesn't mean I shouldn't make the call)

Good news : There were also several videoes of the game (because now there are now more cameras at a travel softball game than on an NFL game) that showed her two steps off the base with the ball still in the pitcher's hand.
😏 can ya' fault a coach for trying...

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Had a coach, did maybe 5 or 6 of his team's games this year. Every time, the first batter that reaches 1B - "blue, I know it's hard to see, but man, she's leaving way early".

I think this was a strategy for him, just to put the thought out there, true or not...

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I think this was a strategy for him, just to put the thought out there, true or not...

Just for those who do this sort of thing:

Umpires HATE you; now if I call it, the opposing coach comes out and starts screaming about how I am being influenced/intimidated/whatever by the other coach'.

Same goes for the 'can you watch XXX'... well I already was and i am not going to look especially closely because you asked.

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
Just for those who do this sort of thing:

Umpires HATE you; now if I call it, the opposing coach comes out and starts screaming about how I am being influenced/intimidated/whatever by the other coach'.

Same goes for the 'can you watch XXX'... well I already was and i am not going to look especially closely because you asked.
Agree. I had a coach come to me this past weekend telling me I need to be on the lookout for the opposing right-handed batter moving in the batter's box when his catcher is attempting a throw to third base on a base stealer.

Do they really feel like we need to be reminded of doing our jobs? It's called pre-pitch preparation. Given the situation, good umpires will run through their mind the possible scenarios that may likely take place. Runner at second base, or runner at third who likes to take big leads, with a right-handed batter up? We become vigilant of a possible batter's interference call on the throw to third base. Coaches don't need to come out and tell us to look for it.

Feb 3, 2016
Ya know it's bad when a kid is sliding into 2nd and the pitch is still 4 feet from the catchers mitt. I'm like that girl is fast but not faster than that 50 mph pitch.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
I've addressed my players with things that are really to the umpires. I'm not saying it's the best way, but it "sounds like coaching" vs. telling the up he missed something.

"Sally, I know the shortstop was standing on top of the base, but you've got to find a way to get around her." It does two things, it lets the ump know there might have been an obstruction, and sometimes if the SS just wasn't taught properly she'll hear it and not stand on the damn bag when she's not making a play.

I did it once to shut up another coach who was mercilessly chirping at a high school kid who was umping. Our catcher was hurt and we had a girl from another team who was athletic, but never taught any catching technique playing for us. She had the bad habit of snatching the ball out of the air instead of letting the ball come to her. I worked with her during pregame and between innings but she couldn't break the habit.

The other coach is riding this kid umping about balls and strikes, and finally I said to my catcher sternly, "Maddie, because you keep snatching the ball out of the air like that all those strikes on the outside half of the plate look outside. Keep your glove still." It worked. The guy shut up- Maddie didn't quit doing it, but the guy quit bitching.

I had to explain to Maddie after the inning why I was really saying that, but she appreciated that the guy shut up too..

Feb 13, 2020

If that girl was truly fast then she wouldn’t need to leave early to be safe. I made sure to teach my DD’s that Instead of leaving early they just need to use their natural speed to be safe. My now 17yo dd used to leave early a ton in 12u and she got called out a lot for it. So over that summer we taught her how to properly steal. Now she leaves right as the ball leaves the pitchers hand and she hasn’t been caught stealing since She was 15. Now I just need to work on my 16y/o stealing abilities. She’s fast enough to steal but she just never does cause “she doesn’t want to risk it”.

Feb 15, 2017

This is the same coach who teaches his pitcher to replant and then complains when it is called and retorts that no one else calls it.

True story. DD was guesting and other teams pitcher was replanting on every pitch. You could actually see dirt fly up. Coach asked me to find tournament director for him. TD comes over and DD took her to the fence. TD says yeah she's replanting but my guys aren't going to call if she gets bombed like that.

Found out after the game home playe umpire is the father of the girl who runs the organization that the pitcher played for. I'm note sure how that's allowed. He told coach he didn't see any replant.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
Found out after the game home playe umpire is the father of the girl who runs the organization that the pitcher played for. I'm note sure how that's allowed. He told coach he didn't see any replant.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
FWIW, this would not be the plate umpire's call to make. The base umpire is responsible for all violations involving the feet except for when the pitcher steps outside of the 24" width of the pitcher's plate.

So this PU shouldn't have responded to the coach by saying he didn't see any replant. What he should've said was that it's not his call.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812