And it's stupid tryout season time again...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2015
I would still post the opening no telling if somebody might be moving to the area or leaving some other team for whatever reason.

Do you actually have a need? Utility player, OF, infielder, pool pitchers? or just scared 10 is a couple injuries away from not going to a tournament. Do you have a couple pick up players in mind for emergencies?

I wouldn't do the cattle call thing just like you said advertise "team with a solid core just looking to add one or two players call to discuss options and set up a private tryout." Then like you said do your homework... and in the unsolicited advice column I'd put in anther plug to not feel bad about carrying 12.

we'd like at least one for simple lineup flexibility......ability to sit players or DP flex......with just 10 it makes a lot of that harder......injuries also a concern obviously....i have 2 girls throwing low 60's that can actually pitch, not just throw.....i have 2 very solid catchers, at least two that can play 3B as a primary......at least 4 that can handle MINF without a significant drop off, at least 4 that can handle 1B.....and probably 5 of them will rotate through OF time, there's only a few I don't like playing out there.....we have flexibility and all of our needs covered.....I would LOVE someone to really come in and push for a starting job just so no one is secure, but with the available pool that may be a pipe dream unless someone folds or moves into the area.......

if i could find 2 i'd take 2......we don't really have a need, a #3 pitcher wouldn't break my heart, although we have one now......we do NOT need another 1B type lol......but MINF and OF flexibility would be huge

Jun 20, 2015
i have to say, especially the older the girls get, the bigger the rosters need to be. rostering only 10 in 16u is a solid recipe for disaster. IMO. Car accidents, work, grad parties, boyfriends, ACT test, SAT test, car trouble, parents work schedule, twisted ankle, ETC. You're 2 events on this list away on any summer weekend to not being able to play due to not enough players.

Almost forgot, tryout season in Ohio is August.

Oct 23, 2014
i have to say, especially the older the girls get, the bigger the rosters need to be. rostering only 10 in 16u is a solid recipe for disaster. IMO. Car accidents, work, grad parties, boyfriends, ACT test, SAT test, car trouble, parents work schedule, twisted ankle, ETC. You're 2 events on this list away on any summer weekend to not being able to play due to not enough players.

Almost forgot, tryout season in Ohio is August.
I completely agree! It is so hard to get 16u-18u age group all together for tournament weekends, let alone practice. Especially if they are working, or have any kind of high school social life. My daughter was in stage tech and yearbook with afternoon and weekend commitments at times, then we had a couple girls in student government. It pays to have more on the roster, and/or a solid group of regular pick up players.

Feb 15, 2017
I know of a 12U team that is recruiting 18 players. The coach says it so when those on the team miss games for another sport they have enough for a ream.

Translation: The paid head coach has been losing at the craps table and has some markers coming due.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Apr 28, 2014
all right, let me flip the script

we return all 10 eligible players from last years roster (14u moving up to 16u).....we were very good last year (35-1 or so, state USA title)

i have had 5 of my 10 girls since early 10u.....one girl this is season 4, 3 it is season 3 and the last one returns after being with us on 'injured reserve' last year (basketball injury incurred during last season)

our girls all play multiple varsity sports at the HS level; we aren't a year round softball team at this stage of our careers....we'll play 5 tournaments this summer, a few work outs towards the end of Feb, to get them in shape for HS....then off until june

a really, really good group of girls and parents - it's why we stay together and why we do so well

we'd really like to add one more.....10 is good, but for a variety of factors we'd like 11......how SHOULD we advertise an open roster spot without using 'code words' and being honest and upfront with potential players?

If your team was 35-1 and won a legit state championship. Not a Utrip B tournament. And you have a great group of girls and parents, you should be beating potential players off with a stick. If your not something is wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom