Analyze the picture

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have put an attachment here of my student. I would like your advice on what you think that she needs to improve on, by the position that she is in.

She is 10 and throws in the low 40s, but is fairly successful.

I think she can pick up some speed by fixing flaws in her delivery.

Any thoughts?

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Not much here

Any way you can post a video of her throwing and show the throwing side and from behind?

Hal

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
From what I see she is already starting to close her shoulder, this has resulted in the start of an early release. Notice the position of the elbow, at this point it should still be pointing down, and the hand should be more under the ball. It could also be that she never fully opened, this would lead to same thing. Have her throw more 'slingshot' from the K position and make sure that she stays open and that the elbow leads with the hand under the ball until she actually goes into the release action.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Airborne

Any way you can post a video of her throwing and show the throwing side and from behind?

Hal

OK. I was trying to be polite but with the other response that hit here I guess I will go ahead and say it.

She is obviously airborne. Until you get the leaping fixed, disregard any other advice as you will only be re-enforcing bad and unsafe mechanics.

YOU NEED TO POST A VIDEO.

Hal

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Thanks. She was my 3rd student of the morning and I ran out of battery. You guys have pointed me in the right direction.

May 7, 2008
Say it ain't so! Amy asking about "picking up speed"! I'm so disoriented...is up, down? Is out, in? Help...I'm in opposite world!

Just having a little fun with ya!

In all seriuosness...it's ridiculously hard to analyze a 30 fps video, it's virtually impossible to tell anything from a still photo!

Keith

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Actually, she has control and can hit her spots and is doing well in the win/loss record.

I was just surprised to see her so far off the norm, in this picture.

At 10, (or any age) I want her form "picture perfect."

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Videos

Amy, if you can video a few pitches from the throwing side and from straight behind her, I can pick it to pieces.

Be sure you are just far enough away that you still see the ball at 12:00 and the feet through the entire motion.

Was she pitching from the pitcher's rubber seen in the photo? Or was she pitching from just to the right of it?

Send them to me or put them on youtube or wherever.

Hal

May 7, 2008
Amy,

I've been studying windmill throwing mechanics for several years and I have yet to find agreement on what constitutes "good mechanics". If you listen closely, you will hear a lot of "experts" extoling things that flat out make no sense but they get perpetuated from one coach to another. A perfect example is the FOLLOW THROUGH. The things I've seen taught do NOT match up with video of elite pitchers and in many cases are counterproductive...but are taught every day!

JMHO

Keith

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Thanks Bigdaddy. Your name makes me want to go watch Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

If we can't agree on good mechanics, can we agree on "bad mechanics"? Because I see bad mechanics every weekend. (my opinion only) I see young ladies using a shoulder lunge type thing, leaning forward at release of the ball, or cutting off their arm circle.

I, too, like to look at this stuff. My own DD was done pitching at age 16, due to damage to her shoulder. I started reading everything I could find after that.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28