An interesting spam

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Just saw something in my e-mail spam folder that I had to share. I'm not sure if it was spam or legit, but it sure seemed like spam so I deleted it.

The subject line said the person was looking for lesson information. I was surprised it wound up in the spam folder at first, but that's why I check instead of deleting blindly.

When I opened it up, though, I saw why it was there (I think). The message (which was not addressed to me in the To field, but to a David Dudley) said the person was looking for fastpitch lessons for a 15 year old boy coming in from the Netherlands. It didn't say what kind -- pitching, hitting, fielding, etc. -- just generic "lessons." It then asked for some information, including costs, location and contact info.

I dunno. Maybe it was legit, but it just didn't feel right. It seems like if you were asking about lessons for someone coming in, you'd say the kid was coming to such-and-such town, is that anywhere close to where the instructor lives. The punctuation and grammar also had that spam-like feel to it, although that could be a function of writing in a language that is not your native tongue.

In any case, assuming it was spam (or phishing) I find it interesting that someone would go to those kinds of lengths to harvest names and e-mail addresses and put something like that together. I guess the usual standbys (cheap drugs, Nigerian princes, lottery winnings, etc.) aren't working as well anymore.

On the other hand, if you are reading this and are the person who sent it (with a legit request for information) send it again with better info, and put the word fireant in the subject line! No special reason for fireant. I just like the word.

More...

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Another coach responded on my actual Life in the Fastpitch Lane blog and said it was a variation of a fairly common Internet scam. They send you a check and ask you to deposit money in an account. Glad you didn't fall for it either.

Times must be tough, even in the Internet scam world, if they're working that hard to disguise it.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Prattville, AL. David Dudley daviddudley@earthlink.net 334-365-6719 Home 334-354-0567 Cell. Pitching and hitting instruction given at ‘David Dudley’s Fastpitch Softball Academy’. Member of the NFCA. Clinic instruction also available.

Dave Dudley is a long time pitching instructor in Alabama. He is also the son of legenday pitcher Herb Dudley.

Highly unlikely he has anything to do with a scam, he is very well respected in the softball community.

Might be a good idea to forward him a copy of it. Maybe his attorney can find the one responsible.

Hal

Dec 18, 2008
My name is David Dudley. I received an email from a friend about my name being used on this site in the original post of this thread. There are many instructors like myself who receive these scam emails frequently. If you are an instructor and are listed in any Fastpitch Softball Registry, you will eventually get them. It is a scam. I always delete them. Most importantly, the original poster wrote the email was addressed "to" David Dudley not "from" David Dudley. A couple of years ago this scam was discussed on the Eteamz Boards at length because so many instructors were receiving them.

Anyway, thanks for your time and I appreciate the opportunity to clear my name.

Thanks to Hal Skinner for the kind words he related about me and my Dad, Herb Dudley. He definitely was one of the greatest.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28