Amateur Hour at The Spring Games

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2012
The weather in Clermont this year was less than desirable with rain nearly every day and having to reschedule games almost daily.
That’s hard on everyone involved. We’ve been in the past and had great experiences but chose Myrtle beach this season.
Weather there was not ideal either this year causing game cancellations and delays and making it really long days for players, umps & organizers.
Attending one game of a multi week event is by no means enough to call it Amateur Hour

May 27, 2013
The weather in Clermont this year was less than desirable with rain nearly every day and having to reschedule games almost daily.
That’s hard on everyone involved. We’ve been in the past and had great experiences but chose Myrtle beach this season.
Weather there was not ideal either this year causing game cancellations and delays and making it really long days for players, umps & organizers.
Attending one game of a multi week event is by no means enough to call it Amateur Hour
We were very lucky our week in Clermont - only lost one day of games. I thought it was a very well-organized event. Lots of great teams and I felt the umpires did a great job calling the games.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
We were very lucky our week in Clermont - only lost one day of games. I thought it was a very well-organized event. Lots of great teams and I felt the umpires did a great job calling the games.
Agreed, we also only lost one game during our week there (due to some heads up rescheduling). Helluva job organizing all of that and I gave big props to Allison for her efforts.

On a side note I was curious about how teams sign up for the games and practice times? Most teams were scheduled for 10 games but some had less and some had as many as 15? Some schools had practice times and fields on the schedule. Heard some parents towards the end of the week getting their morning coffee in the hotel lobby wishing they were done!

Oct 1, 2014
USA
It's college. Their kids should be able to manage them not going to every game..
I'm sure the kids could. However as a parent who hadn't seen his kids play live in a couple years (due to cancelled seasons and no spectator policies) and after spending the coin and the time to get there I certainly didn't want to miss even an inning! Live beats watching a single camera video, usually with no sound any day of the week!

Jun 8, 2016
I'm sure the kids could. However as a parent who hadn't seen his kids play live in a couple years (due to cancelled seasons and no spectator policies) and after spending the coin and the time to get there I certainly didn't want to miss even an inning! Live beats watching a single camera video, usually with no sound any day of the week!
It is nice that you enjoy watching your kid play. Obviously the people bitching don't as much as you do ;)

May 27, 2013
Agreed, we also only lost one game during our week there (due to some heads up rescheduling). Helluva job organizing all of that and I gave big props to Allison for her efforts.

On a side note I was curious about how teams sign up for the games and practice times? Most teams were scheduled for 10 games but some had less and some had as many as 15? Some schools had practice times and fields on the schedule. Heard some parents towards the end of the week getting their morning coffee in the hotel lobby wishing they were done!
Not sure exactly how it works - we were scheduled to play 14 games and got 12 in. I think some teams chose to be there more or less days, so probably depended on the teams’ budgets.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I attended a game today in Clermont, Florida that saw a lightning delay and eventually the game was called due to the amount of rain. In between the delays the balls were obviously slick.

The home plate umpire during the rain delay explained to me that it was not his job to provide a dry ball.

Just a couple thoughts...

(1) Why is the umpire talking to the spectators?
(2) If it's not the umpire's responsibility to provide a playable ball who's is it !?
In travel back to 10u, HS, College. It was always the team who dried the balls and rotated
Then in and out when the pitcher requested.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
  • As an umpire. I am not responsible for making sure the balls are dry; that is the teams.
  • And while I rarely (read never) speak to spectators during a game that I am working (even during a delay); umpires are still human and capable of talking to other humans
Spring games had some umpiring challenges for a variety of reasons - many out of their control. Those there worked their tails off and did WAY more games than was expected. Some of those were grinding away day after day for a month. I was only there a few days and my legs were absolutely dead on my last couple of days.

Quality was pretty good to be honest; I worked with a lot of people I had never worked with and they all did great and the ones that worked my DD's games were all solid (one had a bad game - but we all have those now again and it wasn't because he was doing anything wrong - just missed some calls)